Head of News & Current Affairs - BBC Scotland
Leading BBC Scotland’s newsroom is one of the most exciting and challenging jobs in the BBC. Based in centres across Scotland, the department provides local, national and international news on radio, television and online for audiences in Scotland and across the United Kingdom. It provides in depth coverage of Scotland’s business and politics and makes stand-out current affairs and investigations programmes for the Nation and the Network.
You will be responsible for the editorial and people leadership of all news and current affairs output and will lead a multi-platform service. Inspiring and supporting your teams in equal measure, you’ll deliver an audience-focused, impartial, world-class news service and make the department a fantastic place to work.
You will stimulate creativity, promote collaboration and engender trust through your strong personal example. You will ensure effective deployment of resources and exploitation of new technology to create a culture of innovation and value for money while inspiring all journalistic staff to achieve excellence.
Are you the right candidate?
- You will be an outstanding journalist and an inspiring leader with an in-depth knowledge of Scotland and its changing political and social context.
- You will have a demonstrable background in leading large, complex News teams.
- You will have a track record in inspiring and delivering outstanding editorial storytelling across various platforms, including TV, Radio, Social Media, mobile, tablet and desktop.
- You will possess exceptional communication, networking, influencing and persuading skills and be able to demonstrate a track record of operating effectively at a senior level.
- You will be able to gain respect at all levels due to your credibility, integrity and professionalism.
- You will be a natural strategic thinker, with the ability to plan and evaluate people and editorial decisions in the short, medium and long term, alongside the day-to-day needs of leading a fast-paced news agenda.
- You will have strong editorial judgement and an unwavering focus on impartiality.
About the BBC
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are very important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below. You’ll be asked questions relating to them as part of your application for this role.