Head of Northern England, Head of Midlands, Head of West & South West, Head of East & South East, England
The BBC is committed to serving its audiences across the UK. BBC England provides regional, local and network output in England across a number of platforms including TV, Online and Audio & Digital. A new leadership team structure has been developed, focussed on platform and four Head of Region roles have been created as part of this structure. The four Head of Region roles will report to the Director of BBC England, Helen Thomas, and be responsible for delivering the BBC England strategy in the region and working as a collaborative member of BBC England leadership team.
The Head of Region will:
- Deliver and lead a future facing England strategy in the Region which , maximizes editorial value and increases audience engagement with the BBC
- Work as a collaborative member of the England leadership team
- Provide creative leadership and editorial vision to enhance the strength, depth, range and quality of output
- Provide outstanding editorial leadership and managerial direction across the region
- Embed new service opportunities within the Region e.g. The Social
- Identify key external stakeholders and develop positive working relationships, improving the perceptions of the BBC as an active partner in the region
- Understand audience perception of the BBC in the Region and work with internal and external partners to deliver targeted improvement plans
- Build a culture in the Region that reflects the diversity of our communities and offers a fun and creative place to work
Are you the right candidate?
The successful candidate will be:
- An experienced people and business leader and team motivator who acts as a role model to teams and colleagues
- An experienced editorial leader with a strong journalism and content making background
- A convincing and persuasive communicator, able to engage and influence teams, as well as senior stakeholders, establish effective and collaborative relations across BBC departments, and external agencies/stakeholders where required
- Aware of current markets, trends and issues within the broadcasting industry and wider media sector, and knowledge of output across the whole of the BBC, as well as that of competitors
- Knowledgeable of the way in which output is commissioned, financed and produced
- Experienced in managing significant budgets and understanding key financial drivers
Contract type: Permanent
Location: Flexible within the respective Region
We’re happy to discuss flexible working. Please indicate your choice under the flexible working question in the application. There is no obligation to raise this at the application stage but if you wish to do so, you are welcome to. Flexible working will be part of the discussion at offer stage.
- Excellent career progression – the BBC offers great opportunities for employees to seek new challenges and work in different areas of the organisation.
- Unrivalled training and development opportunities – our in-house Academy hosts a wide range of internal and external courses and certification.
- Benefits- We offer a competitive salary package, a flexible 35-hour working week for work-life balance and 26 days holiday with the option to buy an extra 5 days, a defined pension scheme and discounted dental, health care, gym and much more.
About the BBC
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below.
Diversity matters at the BBC. We have a working environment where we value and respect every individual's unique contribution, enabling all of our employees to thrive and achieve their full potential.
We want to attract the broadest range of talented people to be part of the BBC – whether that’s to contribute to our programming or our wide range of non-production roles. The more diverse our workforce, the better able we are to respond to and reflect our audiences in all their diversity.
We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexuality, social background, religion and/or belief. We will consider flexible working requests for all roles, unless operational requirements prevent otherwise.
To find out more about Diversity and Inclusion at the BBC, please click here