From the World Cups to the Olympics, whether it’s top-flight football, the FA Cups, Wimbledon or International Cricket, BBC Sport is at the heart of the world’s major sporting events. Our teams make sure that every day our audiences are served with the sporting stories that matter as well as providing world class coverage of the events themselves.
We are looking for an experienced individual with significant experience at a senior Production Management level .Reporting to the Controller of Production, the Head of Production will work alongside 2 other HOP’s in Sport to oversee operational, financial and logistical management, with leadership of the Production Management teams.
Experience of leading change in a complex organisation and a positive and solutions driven attitude requiring confidence and strong influencing skills are highly desirable.
We want BBC Sport’s output to reflect and understand the audiences we serve - for example, the different geographical regions of the UK and the experience of people from underrepresented groups (eg people from Black, Asian or minority ethnic backgrounds, people with lived experience of disability, individuals within the LGBTQ+ community and those from lower socio economic groups). We are therefore actively seeking individuals with skills or experience that can help contribute towards ensuring we maximise the diversity of our coverage and content.
The BBC is committed to redeploying employees seeking suitable alternative employment within the BBC for different reasons and they will be given priority consideration ahead of other applicants. Priority consideration means for those employees seeking redeployment their application will be considered alongside anyone else at risk of redundancy, prior to any individuals being considered who are not at risk.
- Working in partnership with senior editorial colleagues to deliver the outstanding, distinctive, multi-platform content that BBC Sport is renowned for. Ensuring quality is maintained, appropriate funding is allocated ,while driving productive efficiencies and promoting deployment of new technologies.
- Champion and drive development of new ways of working; positively supporting the role that BBC Sport will play over the next few years in delivering the BBC’s Value for All ambitions.
- Provide career development and effective leadership to the Production Management community in BBC Sport and play a key role in maintaining a professional pan-BBC production management community.
- Accountable for consistency of approach in scheduling, budgeting and managing productions throughout the production area in line with relevant BBC frameworks and requirements.
- Working with the senior team to lead the extensive change required to working practices both within BBC Sport and beyond, in order to ensure the delivery of the BBC’s sustainability objectives & targets.
- Working with the senior team to support BBC Sport’s drive to improve diversity and inclusivity across its workforce, in line with the BBC’s publicly stated goals.
- Jointly accountable with editorial colleagues for delivering efficient and sustainable productions through effective management of people and resources.
- Extensive experience in managing significant budgets and understanding key financial drivers and their impact on the overall slate position.
- Lead major production procurement exercises, alongside relationship management with key suppliers across individual slates.
Are you the right candidate?
You will have significant experience at a senior Production Management level, managing a diverse slate of productions, as well as substantial knowledge of end-to-end multi-platform production with a level of technical understanding, excellent business and finance skills. You will be able to model budgets appropriately; accurately informing and contributing to the forecasting of the slate.
Working at the forefront of the industry you will be up to date with the latest production techniques and will be able to offer practical and creative solutions to ensure programmes are delivered to the highest possible standard, within financial parameters.
A trusted and respected professional, you will also bring experience of leading large and diverse teams across a broad range of output, alongside proven experience of managing change and continuous improvement programs. You’ll possess strong leadership, organisation and advanced influencing skills; building a collaborative team that meets the needs of stakeholders and the audience. You’ll be adept at working with numerous, diverse senior and executive level personnel, often operating under tight timescales and managing competing priorities. As an expert in your field, you will provide professional leadership and act as role model to your teams and colleagues.
This is not an entry level role, we're looking for candidates with experience within the area, please review the criteria for the role before applying.
Contract type: 1 x Continuing
Location: Office base Mediacity when required, home working to be discussed
We’re happy to discuss flexible working. Please indicate your choice under the flexible working question in the application. There is no obligation to raise this at the application stage but if you wish to do so, you are welcome to. Flexible working will be part of the discussion at offer stage.
- Excellent career progression – the BBC offers great opportunities for employees to seek new challenges and work in different areas of the organisation.
- Unrivalled training and development opportunities – our in-house Academy hosts a wide range of internal and external courses and certification.
- Benefits- We offer a competitive salary package, a flexible 35-hour working week for work-life balance and 26 days (1 of which is a corporation day) with the option to buy an extra 5 days, a defined pension scheme and discounted dental, health care, gym and much more.
The situation regarding the coronavirus outbreak is developing quickly and the BBC is keen to continue to ensure the safety and wellbeing of people across the BBC, while continuing to protect our services. To reduce the risk access to BBC buildings is limited to those essential to our broadcast output. From Wednesday 18th March until further notice all assessments and interviews will be conducted remotely. For more information go to https://www.bbc.co.uk/careers/
Mae’r sefyllfa gyda’r coronafeirws yn datblygu’n gyflym, ac mae’r BBC yn awyddus i barhau i sicrhau diogelwch a lles pobl ar draws y BBC, gan barhau i warchod ein gwasanaethau hefyd. I leihau’r risg, dim ond y bobl sy’n hanfodol i’n hallbwn darlledu fydd yn cael mynediad i adeiladau’r BBC. O ddydd Mercher 18fed Mawrth ymlaen, bydd pob asesiad a chyfweliad yn cael ei gynnal o bell, nes rhoddir gwybod yn wahanol. I gael mwy o wybodaeth, ewch i https://www.bbc.co.uk/careers/
About the BBC
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below.
Diversity matters at the BBC. We have a working environment where we value and respect every individual's unique contribution, enabling all of our employees to thrive and achieve their full potential.
We want to attract the broadest range of talented people to be part of the BBC – whether that’s to contribute to our programming or our wide range of non-production roles. The more diverse our workforce, the better able we are to respond to and reflect our audiences in all their diversity.
We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, socio-economic background, religion and/or belief. We will consider flexible working requests for all roles, unless operational requirements prevent otherwise.
To find out more about Diversity and Inclusion at the BBC, please click here