The Space helps arts organisations to innovate and form partnerships with emerging creative sectors to take arts forms into the future, encouraging artists and organisations to take advantage of the different artistic possibilities offered by digital media and technologies.
We look to increase access to works that deserve to reach a bigger audience and that would be inaccessible for many people for reasons of cost, access, disability, and geography, as well as reaching new audiences who may not consume arts through traditional routes, including younger people, and those from more diverse backgrounds.
The Space will deliver this vision through three core areas of commissioning & development:
- Capture: digitally capturing the live arts experience for online audiences; showcasing the reach of existing events – everything from world premieres, must see performances and live events – making them available to a global audience
- Extend: pioneering digital ideas which work with organisations to extend and deepen the experience of existing artists, exhibitions or activities through digital - exploring and/or contextualising the arts by providing new ways into artistic experiences or the artistic process. This includes a commitment to the creative use of archives, including that owned by the BBC
- Create digital: the creation of brand new digital works from artists and arts organisations, exploring the artistic and audience possibilities offered by digital technologies with a focus on new forms of storytelling and interactivity
- Manage all organisational aspects of The Space’s creative commissioning processes. So we can deliver on our mission as a commissioning and development programme committed to the digital capture, extension and creation of the arts
- Implement an efficient and accessible online process for The Space’s commissioning rounds. Enabling individuals and organisations in the arts and cultural sector to submit responses to creative briefs and for these to be robustly assessed and responded to by our creative development team. Ensure that the process can be easily accessed by all potential applicants, including those with disability
- Manage the systems needed to run The Space’s creative development and ‘green-light’ approval process. Enabling us to collaborate with a wide range of partners across artistic disciplines, throughout the UK
- Support the creative development team by reviewing creative proposals, budgets and related documentation. Ensuring that budgets and project plans are clear and realistic and that all required documentation is available in time for decision making by the Creative Director/ CEO and The Space’s Editorial Panel
- Manage our customer relationship management database, liaising with the communications manager as required to enable effective outreach to the arts and cultural sector
- Oversee the collection, confidential storage and collation of diversity data for all individuals and organisations submitting responses, to open or solicited creative briefs, to enable diversity reporting. Work with the senior team to ensure that our data protection practices adhere to clear principles of data use: minimisation, transparency and control
- Manage The Space’s network of freelance associates and other suppliers to support the creative development process. Including devising and implementing appropriate tendering, contracting, scheduling and performance monitoring processes to achieve quality of output and value for money
- Develop and deliver a comprehensive risk assessment approach for planned commissions, liaising with our professional advisors where necessary to identify risks in areas such as rights clearance, compliance or editorial policy. Oversee the implementation of any agreed risk mitigation actions and provide regular monitoring and reporting on risk status to the CEO and COO
- Manage the contracting of commissioned organisations, overseen by the COO, and provide a first point of contact for contract queries
- Ensure that commissioned organisations understand and adhere to agreed procedures and guidelines and are aware of their responsibilities for copyright, legal, statutory, contractual and delivery requirements. Where relevant, request and review evidence of compliance with these requirements and highlight any concerns to the CEO/ Creative Director and COO
- Compile commissions pipeline update reports and contribute to KPI reporting and operational and financial reports as part of a regular and comprehensive process of performance reporting to The Space’s senior management, board and members to ensure high standards of knowledge-sharing, governance and transparency
- Monitor milestone deliveries by commissioned organisations and oversee our milestone acceptance and technical QA processes, managing outsourced testing services where necessary
- Work with the COO, commissioned organisations and distribution partners to manage a streamlined process for rights clearance, editorial and compliance monitoring from initial publication to the archiving of works when licenses to publish have expired
- Support the CEO/ Creative Director, Head of Audiences and our distribution partners in scheduling the delivery and publication of commissions to maximise audience reach
- Such other duties as may from time to time be agreed
- Excellent project and programme management skills
- Highly organised, with strong attention to detail
- Technical skills to manage CRM databases and related online systems
- Proven ability to monitor, report and take steps to mitigate project risks.
- Good written and verbal communication and presentation skills
- Good time management skills with ability to prioritise
- Works on own initiative, resourceful and able to troubleshoot
The Ideal Candidate
- Significant experience in a senior role in production management
- Experience implementing complex digital production processes across multiple projects
- Background in media or arts/ cultural organisations
- Worked within a creative commissioning process
- Strong supplier management experience including procurement, scheduling and performance management
- Familiarity with digital production budgeting and contracting
- Designed and delivered competitive tendering processes
- Dealt with rights management and editorial compliance processes
About the Company
This role is for The Space. Please do not apply via this site.
If you have queries relating to any part of this job description please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
To apply for this role please send CV and a cover letter highlighting your relevant experience and how you would approach the role, to: email@example.com. Please state the job title in the subject line.
The deadline for applications is Monday 4 July 2016 at 9am
This job is only open to individuals who have the right to work in the UK. We regret that it is only possible for us to respond to applicants who are shortlisted for interview.