BBC Studios is a global creative powerhouse for the development, production and distribution of bold, British, content. We produce over 2,500 hours of content per year, operate in 22 markets globally and generate revenue of £1.4bn, returning around £200m profit to BBC public Service each year. In the UK, BBC Studios enables audiences to enjoy their favourite BBC programmes and brands outside the licence fee-funded window on alternative platforms, through a range of partnerships, and in multiple formats, from products and magazines to events and experiences.
BBC Studios has regional offices located around the world including Johannesburg, Warsaw, Paris, and now Amsterdam. The newly opened Amsterdam office houses our Western Europe channels, creating several exciting roles within our programming and presentation department. You will have the opportunity to join our team at the beginning of this exciting new chapter for BBC Studios.
Reporting into the SVP, Programming and Marketing, this role leads editorial strategy of the channel to develop the long-term programming and schedule strategies for Western Europe branded services, setting performance targets and championing best practice at all levels. Contributes to business development projects, assessing operational impact of new launches and initiatives.
In addition to managing programming budgets, ensuring locally relevant content is in line with BBC brand values, it leads a team of Senior Programming Staff to execute the schedule strategy to deliver performance KPIs with a key focus on commercial markets. It also sets editorial and schedule strategies for Western Europe channels working closely with marketing, PR, presentation and acquisitions teams. This role also directly manages 3 team members.
Oversees and manages the delivery of BBC Studios channel brands in Benelux and the Nordic regions.
Works closely with Insight teams in order to assess opportunities and threats to optimize and bolster schedules where feasible. Also guides on competitor performance checks to ensure best schedule tactics are applied to BBC channels.
Guides Programming team to devise schedule strategies, deliver editorial vision and channel objectives.
Signs off monthly schedule grids with Senior Programming Managers to ensure plans deliver on commercial targets or objectives.
Partners with the SVP, Programming and Marketing to review return on investment at end of year, and set genre component targets for the year ahead to ensure programming budget is apportioned accordingly. Reports weekly on performance highlights or concerns.
Works closely with Head of Scheduling, CEMA on pan-regional initiatives affecting scheduling of the channels, for example, IT system reviews, forward planning templates, any changes affecting feeds to markets (ad sales or new launches).
Works closely with pan-regional VOD team to ensure a brand-led approach to programming strategy across all viewer experiences.
Line manager to Programming team for Benelux and Nordic channels and mentors a team of Programming & Presentation Assistants, ensuring support is delivered consistently across all regions and both departments.
Works closely with Acquisitions to identify appropriate content and works across ad hoc branded services project development, e.g. new SVOD or linear channel launches.
Leadership accountability for BBC Studios’ Netherlands premise as required, acts as first point of contact for IT and HR related queries.
The Ideal Candidate
At BBC Studios, we seek people who are passionate about who we are and what we do.
- Proven experience of editorial, team and scheduling leadership
- Experience of running content and scheduling decisions for an international linear channel with channel linked VOD
- In-depth understanding of research and ratings data, with fluency in identifying patterns in order to create counter-strategies to protect performance.
- Proven project management skills, engaging key stakeholders with passionate market awareness and delivering a clear outcome
- Highly effective scheduling skills, motivated by forensic analysis of data to structure a compelling narrative
- Competent at managing challenging conversations, able to negotiate with a Global perspective and influence at all levels
- Ability to manage their competing priorities and conflicting timelines, ensuring performance issues are effectively addressed in the short and long term.
- Experience of using Zeus or equivalent broadcasting system an advantage, but not essential
- Experienced business partner at a senior level, confident making astute editorial decisions
- Accomplished channel budget management
- Experienced working across different territories, appreciate the benefits of diversity of thought
- Experience of managing people is essential. Able to demonstrate empathy and understand motivation in others. Champion a highly skilled team, ensuring they are all supported in creating development plans
- Dutch speaker an advantage, not essential
We’re happy to discuss flexible working. Please indicate your choice under the flexible working question in the application. There is no obligation to raise this at the application stage but if you wish to do so, you are welcome to. Flexible working will be part of the discussion at offer stage.
- Excellent career progression – the BBC offers great opportunities for employees to seek new challenges and work in different areas of the organisation.
- Unrivalled training and development opportunities – our in-house Academy hosts a wide range of internal and external courses and certification.
- Benefits - We offer a competitive salary package, including 8% holiday allowance, 26 days annual leave, company pensions, health insurance, a flexible 35-hour working week for work-life balance and much more.
About the Company
The BBC is committed to building a culturally diverse workforce and therefore strongly encourages applications from under represented groups. We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of their background. We strive to be the best British content company in the world, attracting the best creative talents in the business, so that we can bring premium quality award-winning programmes, content and brands to the viewer no matter where they are.
The BBC Group has set out the first in a new series of bold steps to transform our programming and better represent the public we serve. We have the biggest financial investment to on-air inclusion in the industry, together with our existing commissioning budget, we are committed to throwing open our doors more widely than ever to diverse stories and diverse storytellers. Together with a diverse workforce we will accelerate the pace of change in increasing diversity and inclusion both on and off air
To find out more about Diversity and Inclusion at the BBC, please visit our website.