Head of TV Commissioning, England
The BBC is committed to serving its audiences across the UK. BBC England provides regional, local and network output in England across a number of platforms including TV, Online and Audio & Digital. A new leadership team structure has been developed, focussed on platform and a new role of Head of TV Commissioning has been created as part of this structure .
A key strategic objective for BBC England is to transform the offer to serve current and future audiences better, to discover and showcase England’s best creative talent and to innovate with a broader range of genres and iPlayer-first content that targets underserved audiences.
The Head of TV Commissioning, England role reports to the Director of BBC England, Helen Thomas, and will be responsible for developing and delivering this strategy, working closely with the other members of the BBC England leadership team, and colleagues in Content to increase the volume and impact of programmes made outside London.
The Head of TV Commissioning will:
- Develop and deliver a strategy which reinvents BBC England TV output for the futuressume line management of the Current Affairs Editors across England, and a TV development team
- Develop and implement a positive culture of collaboration, new ways of working and efficiency across these teams
- Ensure that BBC England TV output is innovative across a broader range of genres; that it reflects local voices, nurtures new talent and engages local and network audiences on digital platforms
- Ensure the audience proposition for BBC England is future proofed and delivers wider benefits to the BBC and licence fee payers
Are you the right candidate?
The successful candidate will be:
- An experienced people and business leader and team motivator who acts as a role model to teams and colleagues
- An editorial leader with a strong content making or commissioning experience
- A convincing and persuasive communicator, able to engage and influence teams, as well as senior stakeholders, establish effective and collaborative relations across BBC departments, and external agencies/stakeholders where required
- Aware of current markets, trends and issues within the broadcasting industry and wider media sector, and knowledge of output across the whole of the BBC, as well as that of competitors
- Knowledgeable of the way in which output is commissioned, financed and produced
Contract type: Permanent
We’re happy to discuss flexible working. Please indicate your choice under the flexible working question in the application. There is no obligation to raise this at the application stage but if you wish to do so, you are welcome to. Flexible working will be part of the discussion at offer stage.
- Excellent career progression – the BBC offers great opportunities for employees to seek new challenges and work in different areas of the organisation.
- Unrivalled training and development opportunities – our in-house Academy hosts a wide range of internal and external courses and certification.
- Benefits- We offer a competitive salary package, a flexible 35-hour working week for work-life balance and 26 days holiday with the option to buy an extra 5 days, a defined pension scheme and discounted dental, health care, gym and much more.
About the BBC
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below.
Diversity matters at the BBC. We have a working environment where we value and respect every individual's unique contribution, enabling all of our employees to thrive and achieve their full potential.
We want to attract the broadest range of talented people to be part of the BBC – whether that’s to contribute to our programming or our wide range of non-production roles. The more diverse our workforce, the better able we are to respond to and reflect our audiences in all their diversity.
We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexuality, social background, religion and/or belief. We will consider flexible working requests for all roles, unless operational requirements prevent otherwise.
To find out more about Diversity and Inclusion at the BBC, please click here