Head of Technology Transfer & Partnerships
The BBC has world leading insights into how technology can change the landscape of the media industry and how that technology may change what media companies like the BBC can do for their audiences and society.
The Transformation team is tasked with envisaging the future technology needs of the BBC and what we need to do to meet those needs. It is part of the Technology Strategy and Architecture function and works actively with the Research and Development department.
The Technology Foresight function is a critical part of achieving this. It brings together the insights from the Research and Development department, the BBC’s Blue Room* and the work of the TSA community and uses them to influence inside and outside the BBC to help deliver the BBC’s objectives. The Head of Technology Foresight manages this function, brings insight and editorial coherence to the messages from these three areas, and acts as a thought leader for the BBC in this space.
The Head of Technology Foresight seeks to continuously raise the BBCs game in influencing the technology agenda inside and outside the BBC. The role holder will develop and implement approaches to achieving that influence, which will include at a minimum:
In consultation with the Chief Architect, the Controller R&D, leaders across the BBC and outside, and the teams in their Technology Foresight group, developing messages that inform about technologies that may impact the BBC and carry the influence so that technologies evolve to meet the BBCs needs.
Managing the three teams that deliver those messages, providing coaching to the leaders of those teams and ensuring the campaigns delivered by those campaigns act as a coherent whole
Acting as a thought leader within and outside the BBC on key areas, for example by acting as an adviser to most senior management and represent BBC in public sphere
- Place emerging technology capability in a strategic context for the BBC
- Develop and prioritise messages that inform and convince people across and outside the BBC as to our strategic perspective with respect to those technologies
- Run teams to develop and carry those messages in written, online and physical form within their domains
- Ensure the campaigns of activity developed by their teams meet the needs of the individual areas (R&D, Blue Room, TS&A) while representing a coherent whole and making most effective use of the resources available
- Run and participate in conferences and events
- Influence at senior level, including acting as advisor to senior management in D+E
- Manage agreed external partnerships and ensure regular communications and updates to BBC senior stakeholders
- Create compelling content that explains our strategic technology concept aimed at both technical and non-technical communities
- Personally make the case for our strategic context in person, both within BBC discussions and public forums.
Are you the right candidate?
- Technology knowledge:
- ability to readily appreciate the underlying technology beyond what benefits it brings
- appreciate actual technology readiness and roadmaps to new capability and trade-offs that new technologies bring
- Knowledge of communication strategy and approaches
- Ability to weave multiple complex stories into a comprehensible, strategy and tactics
- Strategic insights
- Ability to place technology in both the BBC and general global strategic context and to draw out strategic imperatives for the BBC’s use of technology and the how to influence that use
- Influence at senior levels
- Personally compelling and convincing, both one-to-one and group environments
- Carries authority in the technical domain
- Team management
- Experience in running multiple high-functioning teams – able to give them space to perform, while helping them to continuously improve as a team and act together to achieve more as a group of teams
- Able to produce simple, clear and effective communication for a range of audiences from technically informed to non-technical
- Public speaking
- Skilled and experienced public speaker – both in small, executive, groups and larger conference contexts.
- Technology advocacy
- Able to assist stakeholders navigate complex technology landscape and brings business groups together around common technology opportunities / challenges
Contract type: Permanent
We’re happy to discuss flexible working. Please indicate your choice under the flexible working question in the application. There is no obligation to raise this at the application stage but if you wish to do so, you are welcome to. Flexible working will be part of the discussion at offer stage.
- Excellent career progression – the BBC offers great opportunities for employees to seek new challenges and work in different areas of the organisation.
- Unrivalled training and development opportunities – our in-house Academy hosts a wide range of internal and external courses and certification.
- Benefits- We offer a competitive salary package, a flexible working week for work-life balance and 26 days holiday with the option to buy an extra 5 days, a defined pension scheme and discounted dental, health care, gym and much more.
About the BBC
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below.
Diversity matters at the BBC. We have a working environment where we value and respect every individual's unique contribution, enabling all of our employees to thrive and achieve their full potential.
We want to attract the broadest range of talented people to be part of the BBC – whether that’s to contribute to our programming or our wide range of non-production roles. The more diverse our workforce, the better able we are to respond to and reflect our audiences in all their diversity.
We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexuality, social background, religion and/or belief. We will consider flexible working requests for all roles, unless operational requirements prevent otherwise.
To find out more about Diversity and Inclusion at the BBC, please click here