BBC Gardeners' World is the UK's best loved and most respected gardening programme on TV. It is a flagship BBC Two series which attracts over 2 million viewers a week, and is coming up to its 54th year. If you have a passion for plants and would like to share your enthusiasm with like-minded people, we are currently looking for a Horticultural Planning Producer to join our busy production team in Bristol.
You will be expected to work across the series, delivering stand-out moments, privileged access and original stories. You will also be required to build relationships with the key players in the horticultural world and use your contacts, knowledge of the gardening year and editorial ability to generate timely stories for VTs and ideas for filming at Longmeadow. You will be expected to work collaboratively with the research team, running brainstorms and ensuring all content is thoroughly checked and meets BBC editorial standards.
This is largely an office-based/ working from home position but you may occasionally be required to work on location and/or carry out recces.
The Ideal Candidate
Horticulturally trained with a relevant qualification and at least 5 years working in TV as a Producer and horticultural specialist.
- Experience of initiating and delivering creative, ambitious and original ideas.
- Exceptional forward planning for hour long programmes and insert VTs up to a year in advance.
- Decisive and strategic thinking to deliver a constantly evolving schedule often very close to transmission.
- Clear understanding of the horticultural year and the GW audience.
- Detailed knowledge of the main organisations and key players in the horticultural world, and an ability to engage with them effectively on behalf of the BBC.
- Knowledge of the BBC's editorial guidelines.
- Ability to generate ideas, run brainstorms, write proposals and pitch ideas.
- Proven ability to understand complex information and translate it into compelling TV.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to motivate and lead a team.
- Ability to persuade and influence others, including good delegating skills.
- Planning, organising and time-management skills.
- Ability to work under pressure of tight deadlines and changing priorities.
- Experience of directing factual TV is desirable but not essential.
Contract type: Fixed term contract / Attachment, Late January - October 2022.
Location: Bristol and working from home.
We’re happy to discuss flexible working. Please indicate your choice under the flexible working question in the application. There is no obligation to raise this at the application stage but if you wish to do so, you are welcome to. Flexible working will be part of the discussion at offer stage.
- Excellent career progression – the BBC offers great opportunities for employees to seek new challenges and work in different areas of the organisation.
- Unrivalled training and development opportunities – our in-house Academy hosts a wide range of internal and external courses and certification.
- Benefits- We offer a competitive salary package, a flexible 35-hour working week for work-life balance and 26 days (1 of which is a corporation day) with the option to buy an extra 5 days, a defined pension scheme and discounted dental, health care, gym and much more.
About the Company
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below.
Diversity matters at the BBC. We have a working environment where we value and respect every individual's unique contribution, enabling all of our employees to thrive and achieve their full potential.
We want to attract the broadest range of talented people to be part of the BBC – whether that’s to contribute to our programming or our wide range of non-production roles. The more diverse our workforce, the better able we are to respond to and reflect our audiences in all their diversity.
We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, socio-economic background, religion and/or belief. We will consider flexible working requests for all roles, unless operational requirements prevent otherwise.
To find out more about Diversity and Inclusion at the BBC, please click here