BBC Gardeners’ World is the UK’s best loved and most respected gardening programme on TV. It is a flagship BBC Two series which attracts over 2 million viewers a week, and last year celebrated its 50th anniversary. If you have a passion for plants and would like to share your enthusiasm with like minded people, we are currently looking for a number of highly motivated Horticultural Researchers to join our busy production team in Bristol.
Working closely with the Series Producer, Planning Producer and Director, you will provide specialist horticultural support to the Gardeners’ World team. At times, the work may involve long and unpredictable work patterns. Normal office hours will generally apply, but a flexible approach is required, subject to the BBC’s policies and guidelines. Duties will vary according to the nature of the output, but are likely to include the following:
- Undertake independent research to a specific brief using whatever resources are available, evaluating and presenting the information in an easy to understand format.
- Identify suitable locations for filming which could be anywhere in the UK or beyond.
- Liaise with presenters, contributors and organisations, both in the office ahead of a shoot and out on location.
- Source plants or props for filming, often at short notice.
- Provide support for the edit, ensuring factual accuracy throughout and tracking down archive from a variety of sources.
- Contribute ideas for future episodes and assist in any other general programme duties as required.
Are you the right candidate?
- A passion for horticulture with a relevant qualification and an excellent working knowledge of plants and all aspects of the gardening calendar.
- Exceptional research skills with a good nose for a story and an ability to turn complex information into accurate, engaging summaries.
- Great communicator with the confidence to build strong working relationships with a wide range of contacts.
- Excellent planning and organisational skills, with a track record of meeting tight deadlines in a fast turnaround environment.
- Good attention to detail and factual accuracy.
- A strong desire to make engaging television for gardeners.
Job title: Horticultural Researcher
Division: BBC Studios
Grade: Band B
About the BBC
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below. You’ll be asked questions relating to them as part of your application for this role.
The BBC is committed to building a culturally diverse workforce and therefore strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups. We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of their background.