Our Group Tax team manages all the BBC’s UK tax compliance and globally provides consultation and design services, for both our Public Service areas and commercial subsidiaries.
We are now looking for a Finance Business Partner to work alongside the team with responsibility for VAT and Indirect Tax.
- Review and advice relating to the VAT issues of our UK businesses
- Working with our UK agencies and our IT team to implement a Making Tax Digital solution for our UK group
- Supporting UK businesses with HMRC reviews including liaison with HMRC in respect of LBS VAT enquiries across the group
- Developing our relationship with HMRC including management of and assistance with VAT audits where applicable
- Provide updates and recommendations to the businesses on new legislation relevant to the management of VAT
- Provision of indirect tax input to wider initiatives including Senior Accounting Officer requirements
- Represent the BBC Group with all external agencies, in its dealings with VAT and other indirect taxes (to include HMRC, Overseas tax authorities, external and internal auditors, professional advisors and lawyers, BBC customers, freelancers and suppliers
- Continually evaluate ways in which existing indirect tax processes across the BBC Group can be further aligned, improved, automated and efficiencies created (i.e. Making Tax Digital)
- Actively partner with the Business to ensure that complex VAT knowledge and case law information is understood, maintained, updated and deliver regular training across the BBC Group
- Provide proactive and pragmatic indirect tax input on new initiatives, business line expansion and strategic plans across all business units (including ERP systems upgrades, transactions, setting up offices in new territories)
- Manage the full technical review and authorisation of monthly UK Group VAT return submissions, reconciliations and other UK compliance procedures such as intrastats and EC sales lists
- Manage overseas VAT registrations in South Africa and Russia for supplies of electronically supplied services, and continually monitor changes in legislation to ensure the BBC is compliant from an indirect tax perspective around the world
- Ensure effective governance, risk management and internal compliance processes and controls are in place.
The Ideal Candidate
- Ability to multi-task and prioritise effectively to meet deadlines;
- Ability to think strategically and consider future implications when preparing/reviewing work and/or advising on project work
- Build relationships and trust within the organisation and work effectively as part of diverse teams
- Strong analytical skills and ability to identify improvements to processes and controls
- Able to manage own workload independently while being part of a larger team
- Able to deal with ambiguity, imprecise or incomplete data, and other people’s time constraints in requesting information and delivering practical advice
- Strong team working and excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Professional accounting and/or tax qualification ACA, CTA or equivalent
- Experience of working with cross-border organisations and managing global tax risks
- Understanding appropriate processes and controls required in a global organisation, for the management of indirect taxes
- Keeping abreast of UK indirect tax law and its application, specifically the spirit and intention of the law
- In-house experience
- Experience of tax controversy in both the UK and overseas.
Contract type: 12 month fixed-term contract
Location: White City, London
We’re happy to discuss flexible working. Please indicate your choice under the flexible working question in the application. There is no obligation to raise this at the application stage but if you wish to do so, you are welcome to. Flexible working will be part of the discussion at offer stage.
- Excellent career progression – the BBC offers great opportunities for employees to seek new challenges and work in different areas of the organisation.
- Unrivalled training and development opportunities – our in-house Academy hosts a wide range of internal and external courses and certification.
- Benefits- We offer a competitive salary package, a flexible 35-hour working week for work-life balance and 26 days (1 of which is a corporation day) with the option to buy an extra 5 days, a defined pension scheme and discounted dental, health care, gym and much more.
The situation regarding the coronavirus outbreak is developing quickly and the BBC is keen to continue to ensure the safety and wellbeing of people across the BBC, while continuing to protect our services. To reduce the risk access to BBC buildings is limited to those essential to our broadcast output. From Wednesday 18th March until further notice all assessments and interviews will be conducted remotely. For more information go to https://www.bbc.co.uk/careers/
Mae’r sefyllfa gyda’r coronafeirws yn datblygu’n gyflym, ac mae’r BBC yn awyddus i barhau i sicrhau diogelwch a lles pobl ar draws y BBC, gan barhau i warchod ein gwasanaethau hefyd. I leihau’r risg, dim ond y bobl sy’n hanfodol i’n hallbwn darlledu fydd yn cael mynediad i adeiladau’r BBC. O ddydd Mercher 18fed Mawrth ymlaen, bydd pob asesiad a chyfweliad yn cael ei gynnal o bell, nes rhoddir gwybod yn wahanol. I gael mwy o wybodaeth, ewch i https://www.bbc.co.uk/careers/
About the Company
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below.
Diversity matters at the BBC. We have a working environment where we value and respect every individual's unique contribution, enabling all of our employees to thrive and achieve their full potential.
We want to attract the broadest range of talented people to be part of the BBC – whether that’s to contribute to our programming or our wide range of non-production roles. The more diverse our workforce, the better able we are to respond to and reflect our audiences in all their diversity.
We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, socio-economic background, religion and/or belief. We will consider flexible working requests for all roles, unless operational requirements prevent otherwise.
To find out more about Diversity and Inclusion at the BBC, please click here