BBC Studios is a global creative powerhouse for the development, production and distribution of bold, British, content. We produce over 2,500 hours of content per year, operate in 22 markets globally and generate revenue of £1.4bn, returning around £200m profit to BBC public Service each year. In the UK, BBC Studios enables audiences to enjoy their favourite BBC programmes and brands outside the licence fee-funded window on alternative platforms, through a range of partnerships, and in multiple formats, from products and magazines to events and experiences.
We have an opportunity for an Insights Manager to come in on an FTC contract. The post holder will lead insight and understanding of the VOD, DVD and EST markets in the UK, in particular focusing on market size and developments, the performance of our content, and the evolution of viewing in the UK. This role plays a key part in informing our overall market strategy and shaping our commercial deals.
Key Responsibilities and Accountabilities
- Provide market insight to inform our overall routes to market strategy in the UK, covering:
- Overall size and growth of the SVOD, DVD and EST markets in the UK and globally;
- Changes and the drivers of these changes in these markets, i.e. new launches, content strategies, drivers of changing consumer behaviour; and
- The broader evolution of viewing in the UK across media, working closely with our Senior Insight Executive.
- Manage the budget for and relationships with external market research companies to support insight provision (e.g. Futuresource, GfK), and where required commission and undertake qualitative and quantitative research projects
- Play a key role in commercial deal making processes across the DVD/EST & Digital sales team, delivering regular and bespoke reporting on the performance of our content versus the market, and working closely with sales leads to provide data-driven insight to support pricing, windowing and content investment
- Maintain a close relationship with insight teams from wider BBC Studios, UKTV and BBC Public Service to ensure appropriate access to insight and data sources and to continuously learn and develop best practice
This role is based in the UK Content Sales team and works on a daily basis with our UK Senior Insight Executive, who has a particular focus on UK linear.
More broadly, the post holder must develop and maintain a good relationship with senior business leads across the UK business, and insight teams across BBC Studios, UKTV and the BBC Public Service.
This is a relatively self-sufficient role that has responsibility for delivering regular reporting and ad hoc reports that are likely to be in response to requests from the DVD/EST sales team, UK Content Sales team, or UK strategy. The role supports the wider UK business and as such requires moderate supervision to prioritise and agree the scope of work.
Are you the right candidate?
- Experience working in a research / insight team, including working with large volume of quantitive data
- A proven record of achievement in developing and using business and market intelligence
- Experience in the media industry
- Ideally educated to degree level
- Evidence of high numerical competency, e.g. in Maths
We’re happy to discuss flexible working. Please indicate your choice under the flexible working question in the application. There is no obligation to raise this at the application stage but if you wish to do so, you are welcome to. Flexible working will be part of the discussion at offer stage.
- Excellent career progression – the BBC offers great opportunities for employees to seek new challenges and work in different areas of the organisation.
- Unrivalled training and development opportunities – our in-house Academy hosts a wide range of internal and external courses and certification.
- Benefits - We offer a competitive salary package, a flexible 35-hour working week for work-life balance and 26 days holiday with the option to buy an extra 5 days, a defined pension scheme and discounted dental, health care, gym and much more.
About the BBC
The BBC is committed to building a culturally diverse workforce and therefore strongly encourages applications from under represented groups. We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of their background.
BBC Studios, a global content company with British creativity at its heart, is a commercial subsidiary of the BBC Group. Formed in April 2018 by the merger of BBC Worldwide and BBC Studios, it spans content financing, development, production, sales, branded services and ancillaries. BBC Studios’ award-winning British programmes are internationally recognised across a broad range of genres and specialisms. It has offices in 22 markets globally, including six production bases in the UK and production bases and partnerships in a further nine countries around the world. The company, which makes 2500 hours of content a year, is a champion for British creativity around the world and a committed partner for the UK’s independent sector. BBC Studios has revenue of £1.4bn, and returns around £200m to the BBC Group annually, complementing the BBC’s licence fee and enhancing programmes for UK audiences.
Diversity matters at the BBC. We want to attract the broadest range of talented people to be part of the BBC – whether that’s to contribute to our programming or our wide range of non-production roles. The more diverse our workforce, the better able we are to respond to and reflect our audiences.
We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from all individuals. And we promote flexible working opportunities where operational needs allow.
To find out more about Diversity and Inclusion at the BBC, please visit our website.