International Hub Bureau Manager
BBC News is at the heart of the BBC. The BBC News Group employs approximately 1100 staff in 98 international bureaux. It provides multimedia services to a global weekly audience of over 300 million in English and 27 languages with an additional 11 being set up this year around the clock, every day of the year. The bureaux react to breaking news, provide news updates and analysis and produce live programme output. In a highly competitive market, delivering to both UK Licence Fee payers and commercial partners, BBC News services must be reliable and consistent.
We are looking for an outstanding International Hub Bureau Manager who will report to the International Manager, Africa/Middle East for the day-to-day running of the Nigeria Bureaux [Lagos and Abuja] finances and administration. You will also be responsible for the supervision of the financial and administrative affairs in Nigeria.
The key task of this role is to provide efficient functioning of the bureaux (administration, technology, staffing, business relationships and other aspects that may be required for the smooth day-to-day operation), and to give reliable support to the editorial activity of the Nigeria Bureaux by supervising these areas for all divisions, in compliance with the strategic priorities of all parts of the business. In doing so, the post holder will lead a team of up to ten staff [administrative and support] and will have to work with the International Bureaux and IB Finance teams, as well as local suppliers where necessary.
You will be responsible for financial control, the administration of strategic initiatives, and best practice in the Nigeria and Ghana bureaux. This will involve oversight of the preparation of timely, accurate and relevant financial information relating to the Nigeria bureaux as well as to partnerships. In addition, you will ensure best practice across the West Africa [Anglophone] region.
Within the context above, the International Hub Bureau Manager will be responsible for timely and effective day-to-day co-operation between the Bureaux and the relevant authorities in Nigeria, ensuring best practice in the BBC’s compliance with local regulations governing such areas as financial, tax, media and employment law.
Are you the right candidate?
- Fluent spoken and written English
- Experience of supporting and delivering to strategic objectives.
- Sound book keeping experience: working with budgets; preparing financial reports; advising managers of cost issues; good working knowledge of SAP and/or relevant accounting software.
- Thorough knowledge of local tax, commercial, media, labour and safety legislation.
- Experience of managing and motivating a team;
- Experience of stakeholder and crisis management.
- Excellent negotiating and influencing skills, with demonstrated experience of negotiating contracts with external suppliers and partners.
- Demonstrated experience of introducing new, flexible and efficient working practices.
- Demonstrable ability to handle pressure, meet tight deadlines; to prioritise work and to confidently delegate authority; to manage several projects at the same time.
- Excellent IT skills, with advanced knowledge of and programmes such as Excel, Word and Outlook, as well as the ability to become proficient in internal BBC technology systems.
- A lively interest in the broadcast news, online news and wider media environment
- A knowledge of the Nigerian media scene and future trends
- Good Analytical Skills.
- Driving Licence.
Location: Lagos, Nigeria.
Local terms and conditions apply.
About the BBC
We do not focus simply on what we do. We also care about how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below. You’ll be asked questions relating to them as part of your application for this role.
The BBC is committed to building a culturally diverse workforce and therefore strongly encourages applications from under-represented groups. We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of their background.