The BBC News website is one of the world’s largest and most popular news sites, with mobile and desktop editions for different geographic audiences, and UK-facing and International-facing apps. Website teams around the world work closely with other BBC platforms and services to showcase the best journalism from across the BBC.
This new post will be based in the BBC’s Delhi bureau, working closely and collaboratively with all the lndian language services as well as with teams in Singapore and the BBC’s headquarters in London to deliver the best service for BBC audiences.
Working to the Senior Digital Journalist , the successful candidate will identify and produce news stories and features for the website, including those made for the BBC’s Indian language services which will resonate with English language audiences in India and globally.
This will include text, video and social news, explainers, analysis and features. The role is responsible for producing exceptionally high-quality content for the site and its related services. It will also make content suitable for mobile audiences and come up with ideas that help the BBC reach new and under-served audiences. The role is expected to produce outstanding text journalism, digital video and social news, as well as help develop new ways of telling stories.
The Ideal Candidate
As well as the skills, knowledge and experience stipulated in the job description you will have:
- Plenty of recent journalistic experience of writing text in English for digital news audiences
- Some years of desk and editing experience. Working with regional language reporters and stringers would be an advantage.
- Knowledge of at least one regional language
- Experience of using content management systems to produce news
- A strong track record of covering the Indian news agenda.
- Experience of using audience analytics tools to understand audience behaviour and improve our coverage
- A thorough understanding of the importance of social media to source and enhance stories and distribute our story-telling
- Proven ability to innovate to create outstanding digital journalism
- Lots of ideas about how to reach audiences that don’t usually come to the BBC
Based in Delhi, India
Local terms and conditions apply
Any offer of employment with the BBC will be conditional upon you having the right to work in India.
About the Company
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below.
Diversity matters at the BBC. We have a working environment where we value and respect every individual's unique contribution, enabling all of our employees to thrive and achieve their full potential.
We want to attract the broadest range of talented people to be part of the BBC – whether that’s to contribute to our programming or our wide range of non-production roles. The more diverse our workforce, the better able we are to respond to and reflect our audiences in all their diversity.
We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, socio-economic background, religion and/or belief. We will consider flexible working requests for all roles, unless operational requirements prevent otherwise.
To find out more about Diversity and Inclusion at the BBC, please click here