Journalist, BBC Jersey
We're looking for a multi-skilled journalist to join our team at BBC Jersey
You'll enjoy seeking out original stories, explaining complex issues a creative way, and also feel comfortable holding to account the island’s most influential decision makers. You'll be a confident self-shooter and able to script and edit your material to a deadline.
Working in a multimedia newsroom, you'll also enjoy crafting your story for radio and digital audiences. If this sounds like you, we'd love to hear from you!
This is a very multi-skilled job. Journalists find, shoot, edit and report on their own stories. You, therefore, need good research, reporting, shooting and editing skills. Story-finding and story-telling are fundamental; you’ll need to find and deliver original stories which connect with our audience, but also be confident dealing with on-the-day news stories quickly, and crafting creative features.
You must be able to work independently and understand what diverse audiences in our islands expect from a news programme.
Are you the right candidate?
We’re looking for someone with a track record in uncovering and delivering original journalism. An ability to tell a story clearly and creatively is also essential, and a good presence on camera and the confidence to report live is important. Experience shooting and editing is highly desirable.
The ideal candidate will have the following skills and experience:
• Excellent television storytelling skills, including on screen performance.
• Sound journalism and editorial decision making.
• The ability to work effectively in a small multimedia team.
Contract: 1 year FTC/Attachment
We’re happy to discuss flexible working. Please indicate your choice under the flexible working question in the application. There is no obligation to raise this at the application stage but if you wish to do so, you are welcome to. Flexible working will be part of the discussion at offer stage.
- Excellent career progression – the BBC offers great opportunities for employees to seek new challenges and work in different areas of the organisation.
- Unrivalled training and development opportunities – our in-house Academy hosts a wide range of internal and external courses and certification.
- Benefits - We offer a competitive salary package, a flexible 35-hour working week for work-life balance and 26 days holiday with the option to buy an extra 5 days, a defined pension scheme and discounted dental, health care, gym and much more.
About the BBC
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below.
Diversity matters at the BBC. We have a working environment where we value and respect every individual's unique contribution, enabling all of our employees to thrive and achieve their full potential.
We want to attract the broadest range of talented people to be part of the BBC – whether that’s to contribute to our programming or our wide range of non-production roles. The more diverse our workforce, the better able we are to respond to and reflect our audiences in all their diversity.
We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexuality, social background, religion and/or belief. We will consider flexible working requests for all roles, unless operational requirements prevent otherwise.
To find out more about Diversity and Inclusion at the BBC, please click here