BBC World Service, as part of BBC News, is an international multimedia broadcaster, delivering a wide range of language and regional services to global audiences. It uses multiple platforms to reach its weekly audience of 351 million across 42 languages. BBC World Service is committed to impartiality and promotes access to independent and accurate news.
BBC News Chinese is a multimedia news service. It aims to make international news relevant to Chinese speaking audiences, as well as to cover developments in the region. Our service brings quality, impartial, original journalism to Chinese speaking audiences on the platforms they prefer.
The successful candidates will work as part of a multimedia, multiplatform operation with a priority on digital content for mobile and social platforms. They will work across all platforms to ensure that the highest quality content is created for our audiences.
Responsibilities will include:
- To create digital content in multiple formats, text, images, audio, video and to treat and promote digital content on our various websites and social platforms to service the needs of our audience.
- To produce accurate, informed and interesting news and current affairs, social and cultural content to the highest standards whilst maintaining professional journalistic standards of accuracy, impartiality and fair dealing and adhering to the BBC’s Editorial guidelines.
- To report, present, research, write, translate, edit and adapt text stories, video or audio material for audiences on digital platforms and radio; good on-screen presence and broadcast voice preferred.
- To offer ideas for programme content; to suggest new angles on existing stories and to put forward stories not yet covered.
- To be able to use a range of digital equipment and information technology to research, write, assemble, edit and deliver programmes in the appropriate medium, to the highest professional standards.
The Ideal Candidate
- A full command of the Chinese language (written and spoken).
- Fluency in English and the ability to communicate effectively.
- Strong editorial judgement, based on extensive journalistic experience and a thorough understanding of the principles of BBC journalism.
- A clear understanding of the needs and profile of the target audience and the ability to translate these into imaginative and compelling content solutions, specifically with reference to social media.
- An interest in the developments in the digital market in the greater China area, in East Asia and in the world.
- A good knowledge of what works on digital platforms for the target market.
- Proven track record of producing quality digital content, and proven editorial judgement.
- Ability to create content with accuracy, clarity and style appropriate to differing audiences and forms of media.
- An excellent broadcast voice and good reporting and presentation skills.
- Ability to also script write, edit and produce audio/radio content.
- A passion for International news and a thorough current knowledge and understanding of news and current affairs as well as history, social issues, business, arts/culture and sports.
- A demonstrable interest in working in a multimedia environment and in encouraging audience involvement.
- A demonstrable interest in new media and how to exploit it for the BBC’s purposes.
- Good keyboard/computer skills and the ability to acquire technical skills and to operate technical equipment.
- A thorough knowledge of the aims, objectives and standards of BBC World Service.
- An understanding of BBC News Chinese’s distinctive news agenda and a wider interest in the strategy of the BBC as a whole.
2x continuing (permanent) contracts
Based in Hong Kong
Local terms and conditions apply
We are happy to consider applications from outside Hong Kong
About the Company
Reinventing the BBC for the next Generation
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below.
Diversity matters at the BBC. We have a working environment where we value and respect every individual's unique contribution, enabling all of our employees to thrive and achieve their full potential.
We want to attract the broadest range of talented people to be part of the BBC – whether that’s to contribute to our programming or our wide range of non-production roles. The more diverse our workforce, the better able we are to respond to and reflect our audiences in all their diversity.
We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexuality, social background, religion and/or belief. And we promote flexible working opportunities where operational needs allow.
To find out more about Diversity and Inclusion at the BBC, please click here