Junior Linux Systems Administrator
BBC R&D's Research Platforms Team provides remote and on-site technical support to our research teams based in London and Salford. The team is responsible for maintaining office IT infrastructure and developing and administering internal systems. We provide best in class technical facilities that underpin our world leading research.
We are looking for a Junior Linux Systems Administrator to help support the next generation of our research platform. Our infrastructure is quite unique; you will have the opportunity to work with new and interesting technologies. Above all, your work will affect the future of media production and broadcasting.
This exciting and important role is placed within Research & Development, part of BBC Design and Engineering. With labs in London and Salford, BBC R&D has a reputation for undertaking world leading engineering research and development in many areas of broadcast, media and internet technologies.
- Day to day first line support of R&D’s systems, taking and resolving help desk tickets
- Proactively identify problems and propose solutions to optimise systems performance and stability
- Document solutions and ensure others are informed of changes and developments
- Develop, support and maintain MacOS, Windows operating system images for the employee endpoints
- Provide technical support and engineering for a range of Linux based systems both physical and virtual (VMWare/ Virtual Box)
- OS Customisation, control scripts and system debugging
- Install and commission equipment to meet the needs of the project teams
- UAT of pushed patches, applications, and computer configurations
- Detect and act upon alerts detected on the monitoring systems
- Ensure compliance with security policies and software licensing
The Ideal Candidate
- Experience in Linux (Debian), system build, configuration and administration
- Experience in at least one of the following languages Bash, Python, Perl
- Experience in Windows and Mac OS deployments and support is advantageous
- Knowledge and experience running web servers (Apache/NGINX) and related modules
- Basic understanding of network fundamentals (LAN, WAN, VPNs) including IP addressing, DNS, DHCP
- Understanding of Group Policy, Active Directory and LDAP
- An engineering and/or IT qualification such as a BTEC, HND or Degree would be desirable
About the Company
Why you should come and work for us!
- Excellent career progression
- Unrivalled training and development opportunities
- A vibrant digital community
- A variety of technical challenges
- Benefits - We offer a competitive salary package, a flexible 35-hour working week for work-life balance and 26 days holiday with the option to buy an extra 5 days, a defined pension scheme and discounted dental, health care, gym and much more.
If this role sounds of interest to you and you have the above essential skills and experience, we cannot wait to hear from you, so apply at your earliest opportunity!