The One Show is looking for a talented, creative and reliable junior researcher to work on its topical film team which supplies one or two short films a day to the running order of the UK’s favourite prime-time magazine show. You will help with originating, researching and casting those films and assisting in shooting them on location.
This is a high profile show constantly in the public eye and we are only looking for the most able candidates.
The topical film team’s Junior Researcher works to the Film Team Producer who in turn reports to the Executive Editor with responsibilities as follows:
- Initiating, researching and developing fresh ideas for topical films.
- Keeping abreast of the news and reading a wide range of newspapers, magazines and other source material.
- Suggesting original, thought-provoking and if appropriate humorous treatments.
- Writing clear, concise and accurate briefs for reporters and film-makers.
- Casting the best contributors who will shine on camera rejecting those who don’t meet the highest standards.
- Fact-checking sometimes at short notice to tight deadlines.
- Having the confidence to reject narratives and allegations reported elsewhere as a result of research.
- Adapting to a fast-changing environment.
- Carrying out thorough research telephone interviews with contributors.
- Sourcing props and locations for shoots.
- Negotiating access to locations and securing all permissions.
- Ensuring all films abide by the BBCs Editorial and Legal guidelines.
- Assisting on shoots and self- shooting if required.
- Working with colleagues in relationships in accordance with the BBCs stated values.
Are you the right candidate?
You must be able to display a good grasp of current affairs and topical news stories with a commitment to rigorous fact-checking and the BBC’s Editorial Guidelines and have a thorough knowledge of The One Show and its audience.
You will be an ideas person with flair and the confidence to propose and argue for your ideas in the knowledge that only the best will be commissioned.
Job title: Junior Researcher
Location: London W1
About the BBC
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are very important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below. You’ll be asked questions relating to them as part of your application for this role.
The BBC is committed to building a culturally diverse workforce and therefore strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups. We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of their background.
The BBC is committed to redeploying employees seeking suitable alternative employment within the BBC for different reasons and they will be given priority consideration ahead of other applicants. Priority consideration means for those employees seeking redeployment their application will be considered alongside anyone else at risk of redundancy, prior to any individuals being considered who are not at risk.