The BBC is committed to redeploying employees seeking suitable alternative employment within the BBC for different reasons and they will be given priority consideration ahead of other applicants. Priority consideration means for those employees seeking redeployment their application will be considered alongside anyone else at risk of redundancy, prior to any individuals being considered who are not at risk.
The BBC is one of the UK’s most well-known and loved brands and is a unique and rewarding organisation to work for. The iPlayer and Sounds department builds some of our most used online products, with a mission to secure the Internet future of the organisation.
iPlayer & Sounds are key destinations for our audiences discovering BBC content on TV devices. Enhancing our broadcast channels with Live Restart and Ultra High Definition content and being able to promote personally relevant streamed content to people is of strategic importance to us. Our products are underpinned by a technically diverse architecture, blending contemporary cloud services and well-established broadcast engineering. Combined they offer a unique opportunity to use and develop a broad range of technical skills.
- Be accountable for the development of effective software that meets given complex, strategic business needs for immediate team and broader BBC
- Review and give constructive feedback on others’ code
- Ensure the team’s software works well in its operating environment
- Troubleshooting and resolution of issues throughout the product life cycle, including out of hours support for incident resolution
- Contribute to continuous improvement of the team’s delivery and development processes
- Mentor more junior software engineering team members
- Work with other BBC teams and 3rd Parties where necessary, providing support and documentation
- Learn new technologies and keep abreast of existing technologies, and help introduce them where appropriate
The Ideal Candidate
We are looking for talented engineers to create and own software for our Connected TV, Broadcast Text service platforms and their client applications, working as part of a multi-discipline team
- It's okay if you don't have all of the experience. Tell us why you're a suitable candidate in your questionnaire.
- Growth mindset, willing to learn and share knowledge
- Knowledge of Cloud Technologies – AWS
- Knowledge/experience of Agile development practices
- Desirable : Java, C, Broadcast technology experience (including DVB, MHEG, HbbTV, DSM-CC)
Contract type: Permanent, Full Time
We’re happy to discuss flexible working. Please indicate your choice under the flexible working question in the application. There is no obligation to raise this at the application stage but if you wish to do so, you are welcome to. Flexible working will be part of the discussion at offer stage.
- Excellent career progression – the BBC offers great opportunities for employees to seek new challenges and work in different areas of the organisation.
- Unrivalled training and development opportunities – our in-house Academy hosts a wide range of internal and external courses and certification.
- Benefits- We offer a competitive salary package, a flexible 35-hour working week for work-life balance and 26 days (1 of which is a corporation day) with the option to buy an extra 5 days, a defined pension scheme and discounted dental, health care, gym and much more.
The situation regarding the coronavirus outbreak is developing quickly and the BBC is keen to continue to ensure the safety and wellbeing of people across the BBC, while continuing to protect our services. To reduce the risk access to BBC buildings is limited to those essential to our broadcast output. From Wednesday 18th March until further notice all assessments and interviews will be conducted remotely. For more information go to https://www.bbc.co.uk/careers/
Mae’r sefyllfa gyda’r coronafeirws yn datblygu’n gyflym, ac mae’r BBC yn awyddus i barhau i sicrhau diogelwch a lles pobl ar draws y BBC, gan barhau i warchod ein gwasanaethau hefyd. I leihau’r risg, dim ond y bobl sy’n hanfodol i’n hallbwn darlledu fydd yn cael mynediad i adeiladau’r BBC. O ddydd Mercher 18fed Mawrth ymlaen, bydd pob asesiad a chyfweliad yn cael ei gynnal o bell, nes rhoddir gwybod yn wahanol. I gael mwy o wybodaeth, ewch i https://www.bbc.co.uk/careers/
About the Company
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below.
Diversity matters at the BBC. We have a working environment where we value and respect every individual's unique contribution, enabling all of our employees to thrive and achieve their full potential.
We want to attract the broadest range of talented people to be part of the BBC – whether that’s to contribute to our programming or our wide range of non-production roles. The more diverse our workforce, the better able we are to respond to and reflect our audiences in all their diversity.
We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, socio-economic background, religion and/or belief. We will consider flexible working requests for all roles, unless operational requirements prevent otherwise.
To find out more about Diversity and Inclusion at the BBC, please click here