We are looking for a talented Junior Software Engineer, with a good balance of technical and communication skills. You will be working with project, product, business analyst and technical leads to understand requirements and implement suitable technical solutions.
Silver is a service to enable content creators to quickly and easily live stream video from anywhere to the BBC. We work with content producers from across the BBC, from News to Children’s to Sport, finding ways to enable them to find new ways to provide video coverage online.
As a Junior Software Engineer you will be helping to build and improve Silver, while developing your own skills. This means working on our React web application, our Node API, and our gStreamer Video Mixer. These are all deployed on AWS Cloud infrastructure and using Agile development practices. This makes working with Silver an opportunity to grow a diverse skill set while contributing to the future of the BBC.
The Ideal Candidate
Here are the technical skills we are looking for, you may have experience of some, but not necessarily all of them:
- Designing and writing front-end software ( ES2018 / ReactJS / Preact )
- Knowledge of stylesheets and stylesheet compilers ( CSS / SCSS )
- Awareness of software testing best practices and basic knowledge of a testing framework
- Ability to rapidly acquire new technical skills and to work with new technologies
Other desirable skills that we will take into consideration are:
- Basic experience in back-end coding, ideally with Python
- Familiarity with CI/CD & cloud technologies (such as AWS) to implement deployments
- Awareness of design patterns and coding best practices
Ways of working
The team is made of 6 engineers, comprising a unique mix of front-end, back-end and broadcasting expertise. We are a highly collaborative team. We value our staff, offering regular training and development opportunities, as well as ‘innovation time’ - allowing dedicated time for self-improvement, learning and innovation. We take the time to reflect and improve on how we are working through team retrospectives and individual mentoring. We are a hard-working team who is supportive, who cares about each other and promotes a healthy work-life balance. We offer opportunities for flexible working and a friendly working environment, as the recent 2019 Hired survey indicates, branding the BBC the number one employer in Tech.
Shortlisted candidates will be asked to do a coding test towards the end of October, and those who are successful in the test will be invited to interview in the following weeks.
Contract type: Permanent
We’re happy to discuss flexible working. Please indicate your choice under the flexible working question in the application. There is no obligation to raise this at the application stage but if you wish to do so, you are welcome to. Flexible working will be part of the discussion at offer stage.
- Excellent career progression – the BBC offers great opportunities for employees to seek new challenges and work in different areas of the organisation.
- Unrivalled training and development opportunities – our in-house Academy hosts a wide range of internal and external courses and certification.
- Benefits- We offer a competitive salary package, a flexible 35-hour working week for work-life balance and 26 days holiday with the option to buy an extra 5 days, a defined pension scheme and discounted dental, health care, gym and much more.
About the Company
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below.
Diversity matters at the BBC. We have a working environment where we value and respect every individual's unique contribution, enabling all of our employees to thrive and achieve their full potential.
We want to attract the broadest range of talented people to be part of the BBC – whether that’s to contribute to our programming or our wide range of non-production roles. The more diverse our workforce, the better able we are to respond to and reflect our audiences in all their diversity.
We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, socio-economic background, religion and/or belief. We will consider flexible working requests for all roles, unless operational requirements prevent otherwise.
To find out more about Diversity and Inclusion at the BBC, please click here