Junior Software Engineer - PHP Backend
We're looking for a junior PHP backend developer to join the BBC Internal Software Engineering team.
The team develops native mobile and web apps for internal staff use. To do the useful things that apps do, they need APIs, and that’s what we need you for. Your role will be to build REST APIs serving up JSON to our apps. We’ll also need your help to integrate into other systems to get data to power our APIs. This might mean writing SQL or consuming REST APIs.
Our APIs are written in object-oriented PHP and we use the Laravel framework.
This is an entry-level role so while we’d expect you to have some experience writing PHP and consuming data from REST APIs you might not yet have used Laravel. But you’ll have done some research and will be able to explain the basics.
- Develop effective software that meets given specifications with review and mentoring by others in the team
- Write appropriate tests using automated test driven techniques for ensuring code quality
- Integrate the software with monitoring and support tools, supported by others in the team
- Contribute to technical documentation
- Help to troubleshoot and resolve issues throughout the product life cycle, including out of hours support (with support from other in the team)
- Learn and use the team's agile planning and delivery process
- Learn and participate in the teams software development methodologies, such as pairing, code and documentation reviewing and continuous delivery
- Learn new technologies and keep abreast of existing technologies
The Ideal Candidate
- Demonstrable experience writing PHP and consuming data from REST APIs.
- Demonstrable experience of working with SQL databases.
- Knowledge of version control systems (Git, Subversion, etc).
- Experience producing REST APIs.
- Demonstrable experience of TDD (Test Driven Development).
- Knowledge of or experience using the Laravel PHP framework.
- Experience pair programming.
Permanent Full Time
Location: Broadcast Centre, London, W12
Grade: 6 (proposed band B)
About the Company
About the BBC Internal Software Engineering Team
How we work and about this role:
- We've worked hard on developing our PHP middleware to help you make new integrations quickly and easily. This role will see you working with 3 others developing it further by adding new features and endpoints and also spending time making sure our code is clean and easily reusable.
- We follow best practice wherever possible and practice test-driven development (TDD) and regular pair programming.
- We have repos of common components and code snippets for each of the languages we work in (you don’t need to do this but it’s Objective C for iOS mobile apps and Angular / Node for our web front end.) Doing things once, well, and building on that existing implementation allows us to maintain high code standards while working quickly.
- We work efficiently and iterate often to produce high-quality code. We prefer and find it more productive to make stuff rather than having meetings and producing charts, so we don't follow a capital 'A' Agile framework.
- We use Slack and Trello a lot. We have a big whiteboard next to our desks for drawing ideas on. We sit near each other and our release manager, solution architect, delivery manager and team lead prioritise questions you have and minimise interrupting your flow.
About the BBC
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below. You’ll be asked questions relating to them as part of your application for this role.
The BBC is committed to building a culturally diverse workforce and therefore strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups. We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of their background.