Junior Software Engineer (PHP)
We're looking for a junior PHP backend developer to join the BBC Internal Software Engineering team.
The team develops native mobile and web apps for internal staff use. To do the useful things that apps do, they need APIs, and thats what we need you for. Your role will be to build REST APIs serving up JSON to our apps. Well also need your help to integrate into other systems to get data to power our APIs. This might mean writing SQL or consuming REST APIs.
Our APIs are written in object-oriented PHP and we use the Laravel framework.
This is an entry-level role so while wed expect you to have some experience writing PHP and consuming data from REST APIs you might not yet have used Laravel. But youll have done some research and will be able to explain the basics.
How we work and about this role:
- We've worked hard on developing our PHP middleware to help you make new integrations quickly and easily. This role will see you working with 3 others developing it further by adding new features and endpoints and also spending time making sure our code is clean and easily reusable.
- We follow best practice wherever possible and practice test-driven development (TDD) and regular pair programming.
- We have repos of common components and code snippets for each of the languages we work in (you dont need to do this but its Objective C for iOS mobile apps and Angular / Node for our web front end.) Doing things once, well, and building on that existing implementation allows us to maintain high code standards while working quickly.
- We work efficiently and iterate often to produce high-quality code. We prefer and find it more productive to make stuff rather than having meetings and producing charts, so we don't follow a capital 'A' Agile framework.
We use Slack and Trello a lot. We have a big whiteboard next to our desks for drawing ideas on. We sit near each other and our release manager, solution architect, delivery manager and team lead prioritise questions you have and minimise interrupting your flow.
The Ideal Candidate
- Demonstrable experience writing PHP and consuming data from REST APIs.
- Demonstrable experience of working with SQL databases.
- Knowledge of version control systems (Git, Subversion, etc).
- Experience producing REST APIs.
- Demonstrable experience of TDD (Test Driven Development).
- Knowledge of or experience using the Laravel PHP framework.
- Experience pair programming.
Grade 6 (proposed band C)
- Excellent career progression: the BBC offers great opportunities for staff to seek new challenges and work on many different and varied products.
- Unrivalled training and development opportunities:our in-house Academy hosts a wide range of internal and external courses and certification.
- A vibrant digital community:we have a strong focus on continuous improvement and engineering excellence. We host regular talks from internal and external speakers, and provide generous opportunities to attend industry events and conferences.
- A variety of technical opportunities: We work across a wide range of platforms, languages and technologies; from the latest frameworks and open standards, to the newest devices and modern cloud platforms.
- Benefits: We offer a competitive salary package, a flexible 35-hour working week for work-life balance and 26 days holiday with the option to buy an extra 5 days, a defined pension scheme and discounted dental, healthcare, gym and much more.
About the BBC
We dont focus simply on what we do we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure youve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below. Youll be asked questions relating to them as part of your application for this role. The BBC is committed to building a culturally diverse workforce and therefore strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups.We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of their background.