The Search Infrastructure team work on products that deliver search and suggestion capabilities to BBC products including iPlayer, Sounds and News on TVs, the web, mobile apps and voice devices. There are more than 55 million hits on our APIs each week — our team provides one of the key ways people find content on BBC Online. It's a really exciting time to join us because we're making big improvements that will help our audiences find the best, most relevant content we have.
We're looking for a talented Junior Software Engineer to join the BBC Search and Navigation team, using the latest technologies and development practices. You could be a new graduate or have some commercial experience but the most important thing is a desire to learn.
As a Junior Software Engineer in the Search team you will:
- Work on our Search API, deployed on AWS Cloud infrastructure, deploying to live multiple times a day.
- Develop effective software that meets given specifications with review and mentoring by others in the team.
- Write appropriate tests using automated test-driven techniques for ensuring code quality and integrating the software with monitoring and support tools, supported by others in the team.
- Contribute to technical documentation and helping to troubleshoot and resolve issues throughout the product life cycle, including out of hours support (with support from others in the team).
- Learn and participate in the team’s software development methodologies such as pairing, code and documentation reviewing, and continuous delivery along with use the team's agile planning and delivery process.
The Ideal Candidate
We would love to talk to you if you:
- Have competence in one or more mainstream development languages and frameworks. (e.g. NodeJS).
- Have awareness of software testing best practices and basic knowledge of a testing framework.
- Have the ability to rapidly acquire new technical skills and to work with new technologies.
- Have a positive attitude, a passion for technology, and a constant desire to learn.
- Familiarity with CI/CD & cloud technologies (such as AWS) to implement deployments.
- Effective collaboration within a team – ability to speak up, challenge, agree and commit.
- Experience of agile project working within a professional software development environment.
- Experience of releasing their software to a production environment.
- Awareness of design patterns and coding best practices.
Contract type: Permanent
We’re happy to discuss flexible working. Please indicate your choice under the flexible working question in the application. There is no obligation to raise this at the application stage but if you wish to do so, you are welcome to. Flexible working will be part of the discussion at offer stage.
- Excellent career progression – the BBC offers great opportunities for employees to seek new challenges and work in different areas of the organisation.
- Unrivalled training and development opportunities – our in-house Academy hosts a wide range of internal and external courses and certification.
- Benefits- We offer a competitive salary package, a flexible 35-hour working week for work-life balance and 26 days (1 of which is a corporation day) with the option to buy an extra 5 days, a defined pension scheme and discounted dental, health care, gym and much more.
The situation regarding the coronavirus outbreak is developing quickly and the BBC is keen to continue to ensure the safety and wellbeing of people across the BBC, while continuing to protect our services. To reduce the risk access to BBC buildings is limited to those essential to our broadcast output. From Wednesday 18th March until further notice all assessments and interviews will be conducted remotely. For more information go to https://www.bbc.co.uk/careers/
Mae’r sefyllfa gyda’r coronafeirws yn datblygu’n gyflym, ac mae’r BBC yn awyddus i barhau i sicrhau diogelwch a lles pobl ar draws y BBC, gan barhau i warchod ein gwasanaethau hefyd. I leihau’r risg, dim ond y bobl sy’n hanfodol i’n hallbwn darlledu fydd yn cael mynediad i adeiladau’r BBC. O ddydd Mercher 18fed Mawrth ymlaen, bydd pob asesiad a chyfweliad yn cael ei gynnal o bell, nes rhoddir gwybod yn wahanol. I gael mwy o wybodaeth, ewch i https://www.bbc.co.uk/careers/
About the Company
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below.
Diversity matters at the BBC. We have a working environment where we value and respect every individual's unique contribution, enabling all of our employees to thrive and achieve their full potential.
We want to attract the broadest range of talented people to be part of the BBC – whether that’s to contribute to our programming or our wide range of non-production roles. The more diverse our workforce, the better able we are to respond to and reflect our audiences in all their diversity.
We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, socio-economic background, religion and/or belief. We will consider flexible working requests for all roles, unless operational requirements prevent otherwise.
To find out more about Diversity and Inclusion at the BBC, please click here