Junior Software Engineer - iSite team
Within D+E Platform, the Editorial Services team creates and maintains editorial tools, systems and workflows that supply a large number of online products with content, including News, Sport, /programmes, and Children. The sub-teams within Editorial Services are Media Tools, AMP, CPS, and iSite.
This role is with the iSite team.
We are looking for a professional and enthusiastic front end software engineer to join our busy team working across a set of products delivering next-generation content management and content delivery tools:
- User-generated content uploader – for CBBC, News, competitions and TV & Radio.
- iSite – our multi-tenanted headless CMS used by 300+ projects across the BBC
- Int gel matter – a shared React component library for use across internal products
The iSite team consists of 13 software engineers, a test engineer, product owner and business analyst.
You will be developing sophisticated and dynamic web applications using the latest technologies and best practices, based on React, ES6 and Backbone.js with extensive use of HTML5, CSS3, Sass and continuous delivery. You will work with both front and back end developers, with the opportunity to learn about both.
You will follow a test-driven approach using Jest and WebDriver,, and collaborate with other developers using GitHub as a version control system with frequent pair programming, code reviews and an up to date web development toolkit including Webpack, Babel, grunt and AWS.
Are you the right candidate?
We're ideally looking for the below, but please do reach out if you have some but not all of the experience listed:
- Interaction with JSON APIs
- A module bundler such as Webpack or Rollup
- Continuous integration software such as Jenkins
Contract type: Permanent
Location: White City, London
We’re happy to discuss flexible working. Please indicate your choice under the flexible working question in the application. There is no obligation to raise this at the application stage but if you wish to do so, you are welcome to. Flexible working will be part of the discussion at offer stage.
- Excellent career progression – the BBC offers great opportunities for employees to seek new challenges and work in different areas of the organisation.
- Unrivalled training and development opportunities – our in-house Academy hosts a wide range of internal and external courses and certification.
- Benefits- We offer a competitive salary package, a flexible 35-hour working week for work-life balance and 26 days holiday with the option to buy an extra 5 days, a defined pension scheme and discounted dental, health care, gym and much more.
About the BBC
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below.
Diversity matters at the BBC. We have a working environment where we value and respect every individual's unique contribution, enabling all of our employees to thrive and achieve their full potential.
We want to attract the broadest range of talented people to be part of the BBC – whether that’s to contribute to our programming or our wide range of non-production roles. The more diverse our workforce, the better able we are to respond to and reflect our audiences in all their diversity.
We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexuality, social background, religion and/or belief. We will consider flexible working requests for all roles, unless operational requirements prevent otherwise.
To find out more about Diversity and Inclusion at the BBC, please click here