The OTG (Online Technology Group) Engineering teams work on large scale software engineering challenges at the heart of the BBC’s digital products. Key areas we’re working on include:
Media Distribution - We tackle the high throughput and high concurrency challenges of how to distribute high quality, cost-effective digital audio and video over the Internet, via our in-house CDN, BIDI.
Media Analytics - We develop services that provide a near real-time view on how phones, tablets and TVs consume our content, and let us measure the effectiveness of BIDI against third party CDNs, processing tens of terabytes of data daily.
Cloud Platform - We're responsible for the BBC Cloud Platform, which provides the tools used by BBC engineers to build, deploy and run products like iPlayer, enabling thousands of changes every day.
- Developing and maintaining the software components the team is responsible for.
- Participating in the on-call rota for the software systems the teams supports. As a Junior engineer, this will be several months after you start.
- Contributing to the design and architecture of the team's software systems. We're always building new components in addition to supporting our existing services!
- Collaborating with other team members and other teams to deliver our software into production.
The Ideal Candidate
- Strong Python or Java software engineering skills.
- Familiarity with database technologies and SQL.
- A firm grounding in Continuous Delivery principles.
- Excellent communication skills and a collaborative attitude.
- Keen to learn new skills and gain experience with technologies at a rapid pace.
We have a fantastic training approach across Design + Engineering at the BBC, so please do reach out if you have some but not all of the above.
We look forward to hearing from you!
Contract type: Permanent
We’re happy to discuss flexible working. Please indicate your choice under the flexible working question in the application. There is no obligation to raise this at the application stage but if you wish to do so, you are welcome to. Flexible working will be part of the discussion at offer stage.
- Excellent career progression – the BBC offers great opportunities for employees to seek new challenges and work in different areas of the organisation.
- Unrivalled training and development opportunities – our in-house Academy hosts a wide range of internal and external courses and certification.
- Benefits- We offer a competitive salary package, a flexible 35-hour working week for work-life balance and 26 days (1 of which is a corporation day) with the option to buy an extra 5 days, a defined pension scheme and discounted dental, health care, gym and much more.
About the Company
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below.
Diversity matters at the BBC. We have a working environment where we value and respect every individual's unique contribution, enabling all of our employees to thrive and achieve their full potential.
We want to attract the broadest range of talented people to be part of the BBC – whether that’s to contribute to our programming or our wide range of non-production roles. The more diverse our workforce, the better able we are to respond to and reflect our audiences in all their diversity.
We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, socio-economic background, religion and/or belief. We will consider flexible working requests for all roles, unless operational requirements prevent otherwise.
To find out more about Diversity and Inclusion at the BBC, please click here