Junior Tester - Mobile Apps
Using cutting-edge, cloud-based technologies and working within a DevOps culture, Media Services is the team responsible for publishing all of the BBC's online audio and video content, powering iPlayer, iPlayer Radio, News and Sport. We handle live content, “catch-up”, and podcasts and support over 1000 different devices, including PCs, phones, tablets, games consoles, and smart TVs. The iPlayer and BBC Sounds apps are installed on over 30 million phones and tablets, and we handle 13 million plays per day. Every day we ingest and publish over 1000 hours of catchup content, and publish 3-4TB of new files.
You will assist the playback team to build and test the BBC’s Standard Media Player (“SMP”) for mobile apps. SMP provides the video and audio experience for iPlayer, News, Sport, Sounds and more on iOS & Android
Your tasks will include a mix of
- Exploratory testing on different devices, apps and platforms
- Creating clean and concise test cases
- Executing manual tests
- Providing input on automated tests
- Discovering and reporting bugs with accurate steps to reproduce
- Collaborating with developers to verify fixes
Are you the right candidate?
We are looking for individuals who have:
- A passion for technology
- Eagerness to learn
- Great communicator (both locally and to remote locations)
- A systematic and efficient way of working
- Ability to explain technical concepts simply and elegantly
- Experience in programming with any language
- Automation experience in any language or framework
- Familiarity with XML, JSON, SWIFT or JAVA
- Accessibility (A11Y) knowledge
- Knowledge of streaming video formats such as DASH, HLS, HDS
Contract type: FullTime, Permanent
Location: Salford, Media City
We’re happy to discuss flexible working. Please indicate your choice under the flexible working question in the application. There is no obligation to raise this at the application stage but if you wish to do so, you are welcome to. Flexible working will be part of the discussion at offer stage.
- Excellent career progression – the BBC offers great opportunities for employees to seek new challenges and work in different areas of the organisation.
- Unrivalled training and development opportunities – our in-house Academy hosts a wide range of internal and external courses and certification.
- Benefits- We offer a competitive salary package, a flexible working week for work-life balance and 26 days holiday with the option to buy an extra 5 days, a defined pension scheme and discounted dental, health care, gym and much more.
About the BBC
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below.
Diversity matters at the BBC. We have a working environment where we value and respect every individual's unique contribution, enabling all of our employees to thrive and achieve their full potential.
We want to attract the broadest range of talented people to be part of the BBC – whether that’s to contribute to our programming or our wide range of non-production roles. The more diverse our workforce, the better able we are to respond to and reflect our audiences in all their diversity.
We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, socio-economic background, religion and/or belief. We will consider flexible working requests for all roles, unless operational requirements prevent otherwise.
To find out more about Diversity and Inclusion at the BBC, please click here