BBC iPlayer is the future of the BBC’s video offering. Currently delivering over half a billion programme requests a month, growing iPlayer is one of the BBC’s core priorities (see https://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/latestnews/2020/annual-plan). It is at the heart of reinventing the BBC for a new generation.
The iPlayer team within the BBC’s Design & Engineering division is tasked with developing the BBC’s flagship video product across TV, mobile, web, and other connected platforms. With established bases in London and Salford, we are also in the process of growing a base in Glasgow.
It could not be a more exciting time to join and we’re now looking for a Lead Delivery Manager to help us achieve our ambitions.
You will be responsible for leading multiple teams and building and continuously improving agile delivery practices in the iPlayer. Working closely with the Head of Delivery and Delivery Leads to ensure our portfolio of work is on track. You’ll spend time coaching teams as well as supporting and developing delivery managers across multiple teams to help them deliver value.
You’ll be adept at breaking down barriers for your teams and both planning at a higher level and getting into the detail to make things happen when needed.
You will do this by:
- creating great agile working environments for your teams
- role-modeling, demonstrating and sharing knowledge of agile delivery practices
- making sure teams are set up the right way and delivering value
- orchestrating efforts across teams and disciplines towards clear outcomes
- building meaningful relationships with stakeholders, partners, and manufacturers to encourage engagement and set expectations
- coaching teams and individuals to raise the standard of agile delivery in iPlayer
- actively participating in the wider agile delivery management family in iPlayer and across the BBC, learning, sharing and applying skills and knowledge to improve
The Ideal Candidate
Our Lead Delivery Managers manage multiple teams and work on a diverse range of projects, products, and services within BBC iPlayer. We’re looking for people with strong interpersonal skills who are adept at managing change, can motivate teams and enjoy working in a demanding, high profile agile environment to join our leadership team. We’re looking for people who are passionate about agile working, who care about technology and who know how to build high performing teams that deliver successful outcomes. And we want people who believe that how you work is as important as what you deliver.
You will be bright, empathetic, persuasive, and perseverant.
You will have:
- Significant track record building high performing and motivated teams
- Significant track record of successfully delivering complex digital services and products
- Deep understanding of agile and lean methodologies and how they help deliver products and services
- Deep understanding of the digital landscape
- Experience in matrix-managing multi-disciplinary teams
- Experience in promoting agile practices across an organisation
- Experience in coaching delivery professionals
Contract type: Full Time, Permanent
Location: Salford, Media City
We’re happy to discuss flexible working. Please indicate your choice under the flexible working question in the application. There is no obligation to raise this at the application stage but if you wish to do so, you are welcome to. Flexible working will be part of the discussion at offer stage.
- Excellent career progression – the BBC offers great opportunities for employees to seek new challenges and work in different areas of the organisation.
- Unrivalled training and development opportunities – our in-house Academy hosts a wide range of internal and external courses and certification.
- Benefits- We offer a competitive salary package, a flexible 35-hour working week for work-life balance and 26 days (1 of which is a corporation day) with the option to buy an extra 5 days, a defined pension scheme and discounted dental, health care, gym and much more.
The situation regarding the coronavirus outbreak is developing quickly and the BBC is keen to continue to ensure the safety and wellbeing of people across the BBC, while continuing to protect our services. To reduce the risk access to BBC buildings is limited to those essential to our broadcast output. From Wednesday 18th March until further notice all assessments and interviews will be conducted remotely. For more information go to https://www.bbc.co.uk/careers/
About the Company
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below.
Diversity matters at the BBC. We have a working environment where we value and respect every individual's unique contribution, enabling all of our employees to thrive and achieve their full potential.
We want to attract the broadest range of talented people to be part of the BBC – whether that’s to contribute to our programming or our wide range of non-production roles. The more diverse our workforce, the better able we are to respond to and reflect our audiences in all their diversity.
We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, socio-economic background, religion and/or belief. We will consider flexible working requests for all roles, unless operational requirements prevent otherwise.
To find out more about Diversity and Inclusion at the BBC, please click here