Commercial Digital are a multi-function delivery team focused on delivery of world class direct-to-consumer and business-to-business solutions aligned to BBC Studios, the commercial arm of the BBC.
Our products include a number of marquee brands including Britbox, the fastest growing subscription video-on-demand service in the US, and Top Gear as well as a number of market leading B2B products.
This role provides the opportunity to be part of an exciting and entrepreneurial internationally focused team that values creativity and proactive problem-solving.
As Lead Architect within the team, you will help to define and build products that run at scale and have a global reach.
We are looking for someone who wants to have an impact on how our products move forward with technology. Your primary initial focus will be help shape and deliver a proposed, ground-breaking global D2C offering working with multiple teams and technologies – internally and externally – across the globe.
You will join a team where everyone - including you – strives to better understand our customers and improve the our products on a daily basis.
We are a small agile team delivering big change. We work in a fast-paced environment more akin to a start-up.
As a team we are adaptable, supportive, highly business focused and continually looking to improve.
- Strong communication skills with software engineers and business stakeholders
- Familiar with Agile working practices
- Considerable Software engineering experience
- Significant experience in software design patterns and cloud-based solutions
Experience in the following areas
- Scalable digital consumer product architectures – ideally SVOD and/or media supply chain areas.
- Mobile application development (iOS, Android)
- Experience/Familiarity with TV application development (Roku, tvOS, Samsung, LG etc)
- Integration and data exchange technologies and best practices
- Providing technical expertise and oversight on new and existing solutions
- Overseeing 3rd party application development and integrations
- Presenting benefit analysis of solutions
- Facilitating collaborative design sessions with developers and stakeholders
- Lead development and maintenance of core architectural artefacts and roadmaps
- Ensure best practices are followed for design and implemenation
- Maintaining a good understanding of industry and technology trends and innovations to both inform business opportunities, and influence internal and external partner roadmaps.
- Understand and support wider BBC Group architectural perspectives, assess and manage impacts to Studios digital procucts, and champion BBC Studios needs.
Job Impact Scope
- Strategic dimensions: covering transformation short to mid term (0-2 years)
- People Management: 0+ direct reports.
Contract type: Permanent
Location: Flexible (London, Cardiff, Salford or Glasgow)
We’re happy to discuss flexible working. Please indicate your choice under the flexible working question in the application. There is no obligation to raise this at the application stage but if you wish to do so, you are welcome to. Flexible working will be part of the discussion at offer stage.
- Excellent career progression – the BBC offers great opportunities for employees to seek new challenges and work in different areas of the organisation.
- Unrivalled training and development opportunities – our in-house Academy hosts a wide range of internal and external courses and certification.
- Benefits- We offer a competitive salary package, a flexible 35-hour working week for work-life balance and 26 days (1 of which is a corporation day) with the option to buy an extra 5 days, a defined pension scheme and discounted dental, health care, gym and much more.
About the Company
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below.
Diversity matters at the BBC. We have a working environment where we value and respect every individual's unique contribution, enabling all of our employees to thrive and achieve their full potential.
We want to attract the broadest range of talented people to be part of the BBC – whether that’s to contribute to our programming or our wide range of non-production roles. The more diverse our workforce, the better able we are to respond to and reflect our audiences in all their diversity.
We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, socio-economic background, religion and/or belief. We will consider flexible working requests for all roles, unless operational requirements prevent otherwise.
To find out more about Diversity and Inclusion at the BBC, please click here