Combining the strengths of the UK’s most-awarded production company and a world-class distributor, BBC Studios works with the best British writers, directors and programme-makers and crafts over 2500 hours of content every year. We’re a one-stop-shop that touches every aspect of the value chain from production to exploitation - whether that’s financing or developing a show, producing it or selling it globally. And we make sure it gets to you no matter how you access it: through linear channels or digital platforms, consumer products, live events and much more. Find out more about the world class content that BBC Studios makes at bbcstudios.com
We are looking for an experienced Lead Architect to work within the Corporate and Commercial Systems (C&CS) division of BBC D+E Design and Engineering. The division is focused on building world class systems and technology offerings that drive our commercial divisions (including BBC Studios) globally. You will work as part of a multi-specialist team that helps to define and ensure that the C&CS technology strategy can support and enable the next generation of services.
You will have expertise around commercial line of business systems, covering sales, marketing and supply chain functions, and ideally have media industry experience.
Your contribution will help the BBC reach wider audiences worldwide and enable the BBC to produce more quality content it’s famous for.
This is an exciting time to join as we’re driving a large number of transformation activities; impacting all areas of the business; from investment through sales, production through distribution. We’re also changing the way we work to and we’re keen to get your experience to improve agility and deal with an ever more complex and continuously changing media landscape.
- Work with the business, senior stakeholders and technology analysis functions to assess and understand business needs and aspirations, translating them into technology impacts and opportunities.
- Lead, develop and maintain architectural strategies, roadmaps and artefacts within your area, and ensure alignment with wider C&CS technology strategy.
- Design adaptable, scalable solution designs, either individually, or via leading teams
- Guide and govern solution implementations, via internal and external delivery mechanisms.
- Maintain a good understanding of industry and technology trends and innovations to both inform business opportunities, and influence internal and external partner roadmaps to support the business and IT change plans.
- Understand and support wider BBC Group architectural perspectives, assess and manage impacts to C&CS activities, and represent and champion C&CS needs.
The Ideal Candidate
You will ideally have the following skills and experience:
- Domain experience across business systems – ideally across sales, marketing, content supply chain functions
- Experience in working with the business and senior stakeholders to understand needs and communicate technology options and opportunities.
- Strong technical, hands-on knowledge and ability.
- Experience of successfully leading projects and teams which transform technology and business processes
- Exposure to transformational change in multiple technology and organisation environments
- Awareness of financial and business implications of your architecture choices and alternatives
- A track record of owning and delivering solutions across a broad spectrum of the project deliveries, involving mixes of internal, offshore and vendors - via both Agile and Waterfall delivery styles.
- Able to convey complex information across multiple audiences, including senior business, technology teams, peers, and vendors.
- Active learner, both within your technical and professional area of expertise, & taking control of your own career development
- Negotiating and conflict-handling skills to ensure the best outcome for the BBC in the face of complexity and uncertainty
- Experience in Cloud Platforms (Azure, AWS) and platforms such as Salesforce
- Able to work independently and as part of a wider team.
- Media industry experience
- Experience delivering products to international markets
- Experience in architectural frameworks and modelling tools
Contract type: Permanent - full time
We’re happy to discuss flexible working. Please indicate your choice under the flexible working question in the application. There is no obligation to raise this at the application stage but if you wish to do so, you are welcome to. Flexible working will be part of the discussion at offer stage.
- Excellent career progression – the BBC offers great opportunities for employees to seek new challenges and work in different areas of the organisation.
- Unrivalled training and development opportunities – our in-house Academy hosts a wide range of internal and external courses and certification.
- Benefits- We offer a competitive salary package, a flexible 35-hour working week for work-life balance and 26 days (1 of which is a corporation day) with the option to buy an extra 5 days, a defined pension scheme and discounted dental, health care, gym and much more.
The situation regarding the coronavirus outbreak is developing quickly and the BBC is keen to continue to ensure the safety and wellbeing of people across the BBC, while continuing to protect our services. To reduce the risk access to BBC buildings is limited to those essential to our broadcast output. From Wednesday 18th March until further notice all assessments and interviews will be conducted remotely. For more information go to https://www.bbc.co.uk/careers/
Mae’r sefyllfa gyda’r coronafeirws yn datblygu’n gyflym, ac mae’r BBC yn awyddus i barhau i sicrhau diogelwch a lles pobl ar draws y BBC, gan barhau i warchod ein gwasanaethau hefyd. I leihau’r risg, dim ond y bobl sy’n hanfodol i’n hallbwn darlledu fydd yn cael mynediad i adeiladau’r BBC. O ddydd Mercher 18fed Mawrth ymlaen, bydd pob asesiad a chyfweliad yn cael ei gynnal o bell, nes rhoddir gwybod yn wahanol. I gael mwy o wybodaeth, ewch i https://www.bbc.co.uk/careers/
About the Company
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below.
Diversity matters at the BBC. We have a working environment where we value and respect every individual's unique contribution, enabling all of our employees to thrive and achieve their full potential.
We want to attract the broadest range of talented people to be part of the BBC – whether that’s to contribute to our programming or our wide range of non-production roles. The more diverse our workforce, the better able we are to respond to and reflect our audiences in all their diversity.
We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, socio-economic background, religion and/or belief. We will consider flexible working requests for all roles, unless operational requirements prevent otherwise.
To find out more about Diversity and Inclusion at the BBC, please click here