Lead Architect – Playout and Distribution
The BBC aims to stimulate and delight audiences across the UK with distinctive, creative content. To support this aim, BBC Design & Engineering is entering a period of significant and exciting change, merging multi-disciplinary technology teams from public service and Worldwide in order to define a BBC fit for the next generation.
The vision is simple: The new division will lead the work to re-engineer the BBC, making it into a more agile, more creative and more confident organisation for the Digital age. This complex transformation will enable us to deliver our mission to Inform, Educate and Entertain our audiences in new and distinctive ways.
As the Lead Architect – Playout and Distribution you will work as part of a team reporting to the Head of Architecture - Broadcasting. You will realise the implementation of the BBC’s Technology Strategy and Architecture, transforming the BBC’s capabilities and enabling the next generation of Broadcast and Digital services.
You will ensure that the vision, roadmap and strategy for Playout and Distribution is delivered using standardised, reusable and innovative architectures, bringing value and innovation to BBC divisions and the BBC’s external partner network.
You will fulfil the strategic architecture, platforms and product strategy ensuring consistency and standardisation of solutions and related best practices of Playout and Distribution.
- Work collaboratively within a specialised architecture team to assist the Head of Architecture – Broadcasting in the creation of Technology Strategy and Architectures which deliver adaptable, scalable platforms across the BBC
- Establish the fit of Playout and Distribution solutions in the broader BBC strategic landscape, ensuring continued alignment with emerging solutions
- Within the domain of Playout and Distribution, realise the adoption and monitoring of the relevant component(s) of the overall Technology Strategy, Architecture and Forward Plan which will enable the BBC to exploit new technologies and to evolve and transform working practices in a measurable way
- Understand the asset landscape within Playout and Distribution – identifying gaps and potential fragilities and actively develop solutions; including working with external suppliers to align requirements with solutions
- Recognize the opportunities presented in Playout and Distribution and take the initiative in solving complex technical problems and identifying and rapidly pursuing appropriate strategic solutions which deliver business benefit
- Provide technical leadership, including the production of technical input to Playout and Distribution business cases and procurement artefacts, high level designs and the subsequent technical governance of detailed designs and solution development
- Participate in the selection and incubation of emerging technologies and approaches in order to test whether they will enable the BBC to deliver its objectives and seize opportunities in a timely manner. Assist with solving business challenges through innovation, striving for improved predictability, performance, efficiency, effectiveness and elasticity
- To be the lead on the next generation of Playout and Distribution solutions and services
- Support the definition of the pan-BBC (including integration with the BBC’s online and commercial solutions) Playout and Distribution vision, strategy and transformation plan supporting business needs
- Lead the development, articulation and communication of Playout and Distribution driven transformational activities
- Lead and co-ordinate stakeholder engagement and input; ensuring clarity and transparency of key decisions, assumptions and overarching change imperatives
- Assist in the design and integration of Playout and Distribution solutions that will support the needs of the BBC, both Public Service and commercial
Are you the right candidate?
- Exposure to transformational change in multiple technology and organisation environments
- Significant experience of Playout and Distribution technologies and processes
- Experience of successfully leading projects which transform technology and business processes within Playout and Distribution
- Data and evidence-based approach to decision making with a creative and driven approach to problem-solving
- Ability to convey complex information to multiple audiences, including senior managers and external partners. Communicate enthusiastically and motivate others by adapting your style to fit the audience
- Collaborative, generous and empathetic. Comfortable to deliver with and through others
- Dedicated to connecting across the organisation with an open approach and a willingness to adapt and change
- Aware of the financial and business implications of Playout and Distribution architecture choices and alternatives
- Negotiating and conflict-handling skills to ensure the best outcome for the BBC in the face of complexity and uncertainty
- Contributing to and influencing the development of the Playout and Distribution industry
- Broadcast, production, start-up or media experience
- A mix of public sector, commercial and start-up experience
- Participation in published documents within your area of specialism
- Successful academic background in your specialist discipline
Contract type: Permanent
Location: Flexible UK Wide
We’re happy to discuss flexible working. Please indicate your choice under the flexible working question in the application. There is no obligation to raise this at the application stage but if you wish to do so, you are welcome to. Flexible working will be part of the discussion at offer stage.
- Excellent career progression – the BBC offers great opportunities for employees to seek new challenges and work in different areas of the organisation.
- Unrivalled training and development opportunities – our in-house Academy hosts a wide range of internal and external courses and certification.
- Benefits- We offer a competitive salary package, a flexible 35-hour working week for work-life balance and 26 days holiday with the option to buy an extra 5 days, a defined pension scheme and discounted dental, health care, gym and much more.
About the BBC
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below.
Diversity matters at the BBC. We have a working environment where we value and respect every individual's unique contribution, enabling all of our employees to thrive and achieve their full potential.
We want to attract the broadest range of talented people to be part of the BBC – whether that’s to contribute to our programming or our wide range of non-production roles. The more diverse our workforce, the better able we are to respond to and reflect our audiences in all their diversity.
We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexuality, social background, religion and/or belief. We will consider flexible working requests for all roles, unless operational requirements prevent otherwise.
To find out more about Diversity and Inclusion at the BBC, please click here