Lead Data Engineer
Datalab needs an inspiring engineering lead who has deep technical knowledge and experience (or a willingness) to take on the people management side of things. This role will be responsible for a talented team of up to twelve engineers working on a stack that includes Google Cloud Platform, Python and Kubernetes, with a commitment infrastructure as code.
In this exciting new role you will look after the engineering team in Datalab. Datalab is a multi-disciplinary team tasked with creating machine-learning solutions at BBC scale – think recommenders for example.
Your role will involve coaching and mentoring the existing team of engineers and also building out that team. The technology that you and your team are building needs to be able to service audiences at BBC scale with high availability. As such you will be responsible for engineering best practices across the different Datalab squads (we currently have four, but expect to add more squads as we grow the team). Together with our architects, you will be setting the technical direction for the team.
Are you the right candidate?
- Demonstrated experience leading distributed teams of engineers
- Capability to architect highly scalable distributed systems, using different tools
- Demonstrated experience with agile or other rapid application development methods
- Understands how algorithms work and have experience building high-performance algorithms
- Extensive knowledge in different programming or scripting languages
- Expert knowledge of data modelling and understanding of different data structures and their benefits and limitations under particular use cases
- Experience using Big Data batch and streaming tools.
Contract type: Continuing
Location: London (W12)
We’re happy to discuss flexible working. Please indicate your choice under the flexible working question in the application. There is no obligation to raise this at the application stage but if you wish to do so, you are welcome to. Flexible working will be part of the discussion at offer stage.
- Excellent career progression – the BBC offers great opportunities for employees to seek new challenges and work in different areas of the organisation.
- Unrivalled training and development opportunities – our in-house Academy hosts a wide range of internal and external courses and certification.
- Benefits- We offer a competitive salary package, a flexible 35-hour working week for work-life balance and 26 days (1 of which is a corporation day) with the option to buy an extra 5 days, a defined pension scheme and discounted dental, health care, gym and much more.
About the BBC
This is a rare opportunity to join the BBC in a brand new role! This is an opportunity to really make something your own. We have tones of data and historically, if we are honest, we have not been great at using it. So, imagine what you can do? Imagine the impact you could have, using your skills as a data engineering guru to create amazing experiences for our audiences.
We want people who have ideas, who have the ability to challenge the way things are done and we encourage innovation. You will be surrounded by thought leaders who will want to take your career and ideas to the next level and you will be key to taking us on the journey to being a data driven Digital First BBC.