Lead Developer (Microsoft .Net)
We’re looking for a self-sufficient and driven Lead Developer to take responsibility for leading engineering teams of between two and eight people in the design and delivery of new applications, APIs and microservices for BBC Studios using latest technologies.
We strive to build scalable, highly available and secure distributed architectures using technologies such as .Net Core 3.1, Angular 9 and MongoDb (Atlas). Services are deployed to Azure using solid one-click CI/CD pipelines involving various mainstream tools (TeamCity, Octopus Deploy, Terraform).
We like automated tests, peer reviews, online & hands-on learning, good communication and continuous improvement.
- Lead the design and development of effective software that meets strategic business needs for immediate team and broader BBC.
- Ensure alignment of the team’s products and services with BBC technology and architecture strategy.
- Provide knowledge and best practice to the broader BBC in areas of specialist knowledge.
- Ensure the team’s approach to testing is fit for purpose.
- Lead integration of the software with monitoring and support tools.
- Provide technical knowledge, insight and leadership to peers and colleagues.
- Review and give constructive feedback on others’ code.
- Support product and departmental managers in communicating strategy and product fit and effectiveness to stakeholders at all levels.
- Ensure the team’s software works well in its operating environment.
- Be an expert on the BBC’s operating environments who team members can consult. Play a part in shaping those operating environments.
- Ensure that the team’s technical product documentation is always complete, accurate and coherent.
- Lead troubleshooting and resolution of issues throughout the product life cycle including out of hours support for incident resolution.
- Work with other technical leaders in the broader organisation to define, document and distribute best practice and standards.
- Lead and encourage continuous improvement of the team’s delivery and development processes.
- Participate in the team’s software development methodologies such as pairing, code and documentation reviewing, and continuous delivery.
- Work with project, product and technical leads to design software and create implementable specifications and tasks at product and roadmap level.
- Work with third party providers where necessary providing direction, support and documentation.
- Learn new technologies and keep abreast of existing technologies and help introduce them where appropriate
Are you the right candidate?
The successful applicant will have:
- Five or more years of experience using Microsoft .Net/C#, and at least a year with .Net Core.
- Experience designing and writing software for large scale applications in a fast changing environment with rapid release cycles.
- Leadership experience of project working and professional software development processes, including agile.
- Experience of multiple technical architectures, e.g. n-tier and clean architectures, micro-services, monolith.
- Expertise in choosing and applying design patterns.
- Experience with cloud platforms, preferably Azure, including Network/Security and Monitoring/Troubleshooting
- Expertise with tools used to implement successful CICD pipelines.
- Experience of working with APIs, both as a provider and a client.
- Expertise in database design, both Relational and NoSql, and use in software applications.
- Experience using open source software.
- Expertise in web architecture and key technologies, e.g. TypeScript, Angular.
- Expertise in test driven development, with experience of testing frameworks and tools such as NUnit, Moq, Wiremock, SpecFlow, Selenium, JMeter.
- An appreciation of broader testing and QA concerns.
- Leadership and collaboration inside and beyond the team. The ability to influence diverse and senior stakeholders effectively.
- Takes responsibility for driving products and system to success.
- Comfortable working at conceptual and detailed levels.
- Computer science degree.
- Recruitment, management and mentoring experience.
- Experience of supporting, modifying and maintaining systems and code developed by others.
- Experience engaging with industry forums, interest groups or blogging and other broader industry forums.
Contract type: Permanent - Full time
Location: London - Broadcast Centre
We’re happy to discuss flexible working. Please indicate your choice under the flexible working question in the application. There is no obligation to raise this at the application stage but if you wish to do so, you are welcome to. Flexible working will be part of the discussion at offer stage.
- Excellent career progression – the BBC offers great opportunities for employees to seek new challenges and work in different areas of the organisation.
- Unrivalled training and development opportunities – our in-house Academy hosts a wide range of internal and external courses and certification.
- Benefits- We offer a competitive salary package, a flexible 35-hour working week for work-life balance and 26 days (1 of which is a corporation day) with the option to buy an extra 5 days, a defined pension scheme and discounted dental, health care, gym and much more.
About the BBC
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below.
Diversity matters at the BBC. We have a working environment where we value and respect every individual's unique contribution, enabling all of our employees to thrive and achieve their full potential.
We want to attract the broadest range of talented people to be part of the BBC – whether that’s to contribute to our programming or our wide range of non-production roles. The more diverse our workforce, the better able we are to respond to and reflect our audiences in all their diversity.
We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, socio-economic background, religion and/or belief. We will consider flexible working requests for all roles, unless operational requirements prevent otherwise.
To find out more about Diversity and Inclusion at the BBC, please click here