Lead Project Manager - News & Weather
The BBC News team delivers impartial news to readers all over the world, currently in 41 languages. We support a wide range of devices and care deeply about scale, performance, and accessibility. We work in agile, flexible teams, and have an exciting roadmap for future development.
Now is a great time to join us. We’re working towards personalised features for our audience and using the capabilities of public cloud providers to help us serve that audience exactly what they want quickly and efficiently.
As a Lead Project Manager for the BBC News team within Design and Engineering, you will be part of a world class team, transforming the ways people enjoy new online content through ground-breaking technology.
In this role, you will work with the teams in News to ensure we deliver product improvements, help consciously improve our processes, and play a big part in shaping a positive culture around delivery that means News supports the BBC’s digital aims.
- Deliver projects and programmes of work from initial shaping through to delivery, ensuring programme workstreams are effectively managed, supporting the development of their products throughout their lifecycle
- Make sure we are tracking and considering value throughout this process
- Creating, maintaining much better information about what we’re working on, and when it’s going to be delivered
- Build high performing team of Technical Project Managers, and grow and mentor leadership skill within the team.
- Focussing on Agile processes, meetings and roles/responsibilities acros the department, helping drive clarity on how each function (product, eng, project) contributes to delivery and what role it plays.
- Collaborate with Product and Engineering Management in effecting optimised,predictable and valuable delivery
- Select appropriate project management methods for the task in hand
- Develop effective methods of managing prioritisation and scope
- Identify and control risks, managing issues as they occur
- Develop productive relationships with pan-BBC and external stakeholders, delivery partners, and suppliers
- Identify and manage key dependencies, working with dependency owners to schedule necessary work at appropriate times
- Clearly communicate performance, context and progress against plans and budget both in formal Portfolio reports, in meetings and presentations, and in ad hoc written communications
- Manage programme and project approval processes, including influencing key stakeholders and decision-makers
Are you the right candidate?
If you enjoy working in an agile, creative and innovative environment where everything is built with scale and performance in mind, this is the ideal role for you.
- Extensive and demonstrable experience in leading and managing large complicated (multifaceted) projects.
- Demonstrable track record of successful project delivery (including leading teams, budgeting, planning, quality management, problem solving, reporting, managing risk).
- Demonstrable experience in building successful teams, line managing and developing individuals.
- A recognised project management qualification (e.g. PRINCE2, APMQ, MSP, Scrum Master)
- Expert knowledge of the project lifecycle, its products, techniques, appropriate methodologies and approaches (e.g. Kanban, SCRUM, Lean).
- Role model for good practice in all aspects of project management.
- Excellent and well-practiced communication (verbal, written, listening), inter-personal and influencing skills.
Confident in effectively communicating and reaching agreement with difficult stakeholders, navigating ambiguous, changeable, and complex environments to achieve desired outcomes.
This is an opportunity to help develop and shape a Digital First BBC. Working in the Projects and Change team in the News Product and Systems (NPS) group, the Lead Project Manager has responsibility for circa 10-12 project management staff and will be tasked with defining and delivering new capability across our product range which sits at the heart of the BBC, providing content to millions of people every day.
The post-holder will be responsible for making a significant contribution to the achievement of the News Product & Systems (NPS) team’s objectives. Specifically, this will include:
• Being an advocate for agile and lean practices at all levels, ensuring continuous delivery, enabling speed without compromise to quality and keeping the focus on value delivery at all times.
• Working to facilitate constructive discussion and debate amongst other members of the NP&S Management Team to ensure progress towards objectives and goals.
• Championing the Agile Project Management team at all levels within the business, advocating the value the discipline can bring to specific situations
• Alignment of delivery with other disciplines, such as Engineering, Product, UX and Business Analysis - to ensure clarity of roles and responsibility across the portfolio, ensuring clear ownership of issues and management of cross-project dependencies.
• Leadership and management of a team of project managers, ensuring high performance and diversity while operating in a complex matrix management system.
• Ensuring that project benefits and metrics are evaluated and documented.
• Acting as a key contact for NP&S outside the department, specifically to Platforms and Sport, working with other disciplines in News to actively foster new ways to collaborate and remove duplication of effort.
Based: London W1A 1AA
Permanent / Continuing role
- Excellent career progression – the BBC offers great opportunities for ambitious people to seek new challenges and work on many different and varied products.
- Unrivalled training and development opportunities – our in-house Academy hosts a wide range of internal and external courses and certification.
- A vibrant digital community – we have a strong focus on continuous improvement and engineering excellence. We host regular talks from internal and external speakers, and provide generous opportunities to attend industry events and conferences.
- A variety of technical challenges – we work across a wide range of platforms, languages and technologies; from the latest frameworks and open standards, to the newest devices and modern cloud platforms.
- Benefits - We offer a competitive salary package, a flexible 35-hour working week for work-life balance and 26 days holiday with the option to buy an extra 5 days, a defined pension scheme and discounted dental, health care, gym and much more
About the BBC
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below. You’ll be asked questions relating to them as part of your application for this role.
The BBC is committed to building a culturally diverse workforce and therefore strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups. We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of their background.