Studioworks has an exciting opportunity for a Lighting Manager based at our brand new state of the art TV Studio at Glasgow’s iconic Kelvin Hall, planned to open in Autumn 2022.
BBC Studioworks is a commercial subsidiary of the BBC and provides studios and post production services to all the major TV production companies in the UK, including BBC Studios, ITV Studios, Banijay, Fremantle, Avalon, Hat Trick, and many others. They are commissioned to do so by all the major TV broadcasters including BBC, ITV, Sky, Channel 4, Channel 5 and UKTV.
BBC Studioworks operates 7 studios across 3 sites in London, including Elstree and Television Centre which are home to some of the nation’s most watched and loved television shows. As it seeks to evolve its offering to meeting changing market demand, Studioworks has recently announced the opening of a new studio at Kelvin Hall in Glasgow
Reporting to the Studio Manager, the Lighting Manager plans, organises and co-ordinates the electrical and lighting services offered by BBC Studioworks. In conjunction with the Resource Manager and Construction Manager the role provides the highest level of service to our customers.
The Lighting Manager oversees co-ordination and delivery of electrical and lighting services within our studio. It manages and supervises a predominantly freelance team to achieve the planning, rigs, derigs and show working activity requirements of productions and customers using our studios. They are also responsible for installation work, electrical and mechanical maintenance and scheduling compliance testing of hoists and other equipment.
The Lighting Manager will be a hands-on role and will be a practising gaffer. They will provide training and mentoring to help grow the lighting freelance pool in Scotland and will be directly involved in any staff recruitment.
The role involves working unsociable hours both day and night including weekends and bank holidays.
Are you the right candidate?
Please note, this is a TV Studio/Broadcast focused role. Experience in TV studios environment is essential
- A recognised craft apprenticeship or equivalent and City and Guilds Level 2, or equivalent, in an appropriate electrical subject and ideally 18th Ed IEE Regs Certification. A working knowledge of B.S.7909 Code of Practice for temporary electrical systems.
- A full working knowledge of all current electrical practices.
- A strong aptitude for planning and co-ordinating with the ability to take the wider viewpoint and keep abreast of a constantly changing flow of information.
- Supervisory experience or potential gained in the electrical/production field, together with the ability to lead and motivate a team
Contract Type: Permanent - Full Time
Location: Glasgow- Kelvin Hall
We’re happy to discuss flexible working. Please indicate your choice under the flexible working question in the application. There is no obligation to raise this at the application stage but if you wish to do so, you are welcome to. Flexible working will be part of the discussion at offer stage.
- Excellent career progression – the BBC offers great opportunities for employees to seek new challenges and work in different areas of the organisation.
- Unrivalled training and development opportunities – our in-house Academy hosts a wide range of internal and external courses and certification.
- Benefits- We offer a competitive salary package, a flexible 35-hour working week for work-life balance and 26 days (1 of which is a corporation day) with the option to buy an extra 5 days, a defined pension scheme and discounted dental, health care, gym and much more.
The situation regarding the coronavirus outbreak is developing quickly and the BBC is keen to continue to ensure the safety and wellbeing of people across the BBC, while continuing to protect our services. To reduce the risk access to BBC buildings is limited to those essential to our broadcast output. From Wednesday 18th March until further notice all assessments and interviews will be conducted remotely. For more information go to https://www.bbc.co.uk/careers/