We have a number of opportunities to work with us to build the next generation of our BBC News (UK, World Service, and Global News), BBC Weather and BBC Learning English apps, used and loved by millions. Our welcoming and supportive team culture has grown organically from our shared values of
- High-quality, user-focused, products
- Knowledge sharing
- Continuous improvement
- Personal growth
- Diversity, equity, and inclusion
- Mentoring and coaching
You can expect to work in close collaboration with all of the other disciplines in our team (such as Product, UX, Test and Delivery), in a highly cross-functional and autonomous environment with support and guidance from our leadership.
You will care equally as much about user value, as business value, and code quality, and you’ll appreciate the benefits of the right planning and communication to the delivery of these things.
Regardless of your target audience, you will be an effective and clear communicator, able to be a spokesperson and champion, representing your team to others in the business when needed.
- Provide technical knowledge and insight to develop great products and experiences for millions of people worldwide.
- Contribute to a healthy and supportive high-performing team culture that encourages best practices to deliver iteratively, rapidly, and with high quality.
- Champion testing with pragmatism to ensure we always deliver the best value and quality.
- Help us to recruit, mentor and coach the next generation of engineers through our very popular graduate, trainee and step into tech programmes.
- Help to plan and execute larger technical integration and strategy initiatives to support business and user needs.
- Communicate effectively to all levels and disciplines of the team.
- Collaborate with your peers in the broader organisation.
- Keep informed of relevant technological changes, helping introduce them (or not!) as appropriate.
- Support troubleshooting and resolution of live issues.
The Ideal Candidate
You may be just the candidate we are looking for if you can show that you meet a significant portion of the following criteria (unless marked as required). We do not require you to be a senior engineer in your current role - you simply need to demonstrate experience and potential. For the successful candidate, we are able to offer coaching, mentoring, and training to support your success.
- Extensive experience working on a native apps focused team using core Android/iOS technologies including Kotlin and/or Java
- Collaborate in the design, development, deployment and support of robust software for large scale applications, in a fast changing environment, with rapid release cycles.
- Passion and knowledge for testing, test automation, and broader testing concerns.
- Working in a highly lean and agile, cross-functional, team.
- Effective communication, and collaboration, both inside and outside the team from engineering peers to diverse stakeholders.
- Mentorship and/or coaching, especially of less experienced engineers.
- Recruiting all engineering levels, with a particular interest in successful hiring for diversity and inclusivity.
- Industry engagement, such as through talking at meetups, or conferences, participating in forums, contributing to interest groups/open source software, and/or blogging.
Band: C and D
Contract type: Permanent
Location: London, Glasgow, Scotland, Cardiff, Salford or Flexible
We’re happy to discuss flexible working. Please indicate your choice under the flexible working question in the application. There is no obligation to raise this at the application stage but if you wish to do so, you are welcome to. Flexible working will be part of the discussion at offer stage.
- Excellent career progression – the BBC offers great opportunities for employees to seek new challenges and work in different areas of the organisation.
- Unrivalled training and development opportunities – our in-house Academy hosts a wide range of internal and external courses and certification.
- Benefits- We offer a competitive salary package, a flexible 35-hour working week for work-life balance and 26 days (1 of which is a corporation day) with the option to buy an extra 5 days, a defined pension scheme and discounted dental, health care, gym and much more.
The situation regarding the coronavirus outbreak is developing quickly and the BBC is keen to continue to ensure the safety and wellbeing of people across the BBC, while continuing to protect our services. To reduce the risk access to BBC buildings is limited to those essential to our broadcast output. From Wednesday 18th March until further notice all assessments and interviews will be conducted remotely. For more information go to https://www.bbc.co.uk/careers/
Mae’r sefyllfa gyda’r coronafeirws yn datblygu’n gyflym, ac mae’r BBC yn awyddus i barhau i sicrhau diogelwch a lles pobl ar draws y BBC, gan barhau i warchod ein gwasanaethau hefyd. I leihau’r risg, dim ond y bobl sy’n hanfodol i’n hallbwn darlledu fydd yn cael mynediad i adeiladau’r BBC. O ddydd Mercher 18fed Mawrth ymlaen, bydd pob asesiad a chyfweliad yn cael ei gynnal o bell, nes rhoddir gwybod yn wahanol. I gael mwy o wybodaeth, ewch i https://www.bbc.co.uk/careers/
About the Company
We don't focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you've read about our values and behaviors in the document attached below.
Diversity matters at the BBC. We have a working environment where we value and respect every individual's unique contribution, enabling all of our employees to thrive and achieve their full potential.
We want to attract the broadest range of talented people to be part of the BBC – whether that's to contribute to our programming or our wide range of non-production roles. The more diverse our workforce, the better able we are to respond to and reflect our audiences in all their diversity.
We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexuality, social background, religion and/or belief. We will consider flexible working requests for all roles, unless operational requirements prevent otherwise.