BBC Design + Engineering offers a wide range of stretching, creative and impactful careers for talented people. We are the team that’s building the future of the BBC, whilst delivering TV, radio and online services to millions of people worldwide every day.
As well as being the people behind iPlayer and the News, Sports and Children’s services, we develop, support and maintain the systems and infrastructure that keeps the BBC on air and are responsible for the biggest British-run digital service in the world. In D+E, you’ll be working on unique challenges, hand in hand with the best creative minds in the UK and alongside one of the world's leading production and distribution companies (BBC Studios).
We offer challenging work but with the time to think and do things right. We value Diversity & Inclusion everywhere at the BBC and encourage people of all background to apply for the role and tell us why they believe they’d be an good addition to the BBC.
If you are interested to know more about D+E please explore the following links:
D&E Blogs: https://medium.com/bbc-design-engineering
General D+E info: https://www.bbc.com/backstage/design-engineering
BBC Medium, D&E -https://medium.com/bbc-design-engineering
BBC Research & Development - https://www.bbc.co.uk/rd
- iPlayer & BBC Sounds apps
- BBC Sport apps
- Children's CBeebies and CBBC apps
- Media services delivering core media playback capability
As a Software Engineer you will contribute the development of features, fix bugs and issues, review code from others in the team and make a key contribution to the entire development lifecycle, from conception and discovery through development and delivery.
Everybody on the team has a say in how we work, so you need to be able to work with others across disciplines - collaborating with UX designers, API engineers, testers and product owners so that together we can make everything we do the best it can possibly be. You’ll help create team goals and objectives, contribute feature ideas and discuss the future direction of the product, and give input in retrospectives on how we’re performing as a team and what we can do to improve. Even this job description was written collaboratively, using feedback and suggestions from everyone on the team.
You’ll also have opportunities to grow and specialise. We want you to be passionate about the future of technology in broadcasting, and the impact you can have. You’ll need a desire to keep learning and growing, with support from cross-team groups, meet-ups and chapters focussed on topics such as Android and iOS development, accessibility, security, development practices, continuous delivery and many other areas of interest.
The Ideal Candidate
We don’t expect anyone to have experience of all of the below technologies but this just gives an example of the technologies and practices we value
We don’t need you to be an expert on any of these but some use of them, along with an understanding of their underlying principles, would be great. Don’t feel that you can’t apply if you don’t have all of the skills. You’ll work with, and be mentored by, a friendly development team, and the BBC will provide many opportunities for learning as you progress.”
Some of the technologies you will have experience of:
- Mobile Application development on iOS and/or Android platforms.
- Objective-C, Swift, Java, Kotlin.
- High capacity, high traffic, high availability mobile apps.
- API creation and integration.
- Testing tools and approaches, including Test Driven Development, and test frameworks such as XCTest, JUnit and Robolectric.
- Cloud engineering platforms such as AWS.
- Knowledge and understanding of development and design experience on mobile phone platforms.
- Engineering principles, OO and design patterns.
- Delivering large-scale projects within an agile multi-disciplined team.
- Agile software development methodologies, techniques and processes.
Contract type: Permanent
We’re happy to discuss flexible working. Please indicate your choice under the flexible working question in the application. There is no obligation to raise this at the application stage but if you wish to do so, you are welcome to. Flexible working will be part of the discussion at offer stage.
- Excellent career progression – the BBC offers great opportunities for employees to seek new challenges and work in different areas of the organisation.
- Unrivalled training and development opportunities – our in-house Academy hosts a wide range of internal and external courses and certification.
- Benefits- We offer a competitive salary package, a flexible 35-hour working week for work-life balance and 26 days holiday with the option to buy an extra 5 days, a defined pension scheme and discounted dental, health care, gym and much more.
About the Company
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below.
Diversity matters at the BBC. We have a working environment where we value and respect every individual's unique contribution, enabling all of our employees to thrive and achieve their full potential.
We want to attract the broadest range of talented people to be part of the BBC – whether that’s to contribute to our programming or our wide range of non-production roles. The more diverse our workforce, the better able we are to respond to and reflect our audiences in all their diversity.
We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexuality, social background, religion and/or belief. We will consider flexible working requests for all roles, unless operational requirements prevent otherwise.
To find out more about Diversity and Inclusion at the BBC, please click here