Paralegal / Contracts Administrator
Assist with contracts administration of the Legal Affairs Department and to provide assistance to other members of the Department. To assume primary responsibility for drafting and issuance of boilerplate contracts and documents, primarily for television related matters.
- Draft, interpret, review/comment on ordinary course contracts for all US business units.
- Manage and oversee corporate housekeeping, early warning notices, e&o insurance requirements, copyright filings.
- Maintenance and reporting on legal databases maintained on Excel spreadsheets.
- Preparation and review of television sales and acquisition contracts and amendments
- Follow up on contract revisions with clients.
- Continuous monitoring of contracts to insure successful and timely execution.
- Manage and maintain contract database to present accurate accounts on a weekly basis of contract issues, history and execution.
- Interpret and respond to questions concerning executed contracts.
- Insure consistent procedures among clients.
- Insure consistent procedures with Business and Legal Affairs Department.
- Review, redesign and update departmental procedure manuals as needed under supervision of Department Head.
- Oversee and maintain departmental files.
- Administer E&O Insurance Certificates – issuance and questions
- Process Departmental Invoices
NATURE AND SCOPE
The position operates in a demanding environment due to time constraints and volume. A major activity of this position is handling the immense volume of contracts and internal administrative paperwork . Deadlines must be managed and met.
a) PROBLEMS FACED
The biggest challenges of this position are dealing with large volume of contracts and paperwork within tight time constrains and dealing with different personality types.
Frequently missing all of the information needed for a proper resolution of the problem. Must have the ability to identify, locate and obtain missing information, recognize inconsistencies and juggle conflicting priorities.
b) PLANNING AND ORGANISATION
Will have responsibility for organization and monitoring of the Department’s overall workload in the television area to insure that all requests and demands are handled promptly and thoroughly. The General Counsel and other members of the Legal Department can often help with deal points, budgets and review the contract and any revisions.
The General Counsel and other members of the Legal Department also assist in reviewing contracts and any revisions and with legal verbiage. Most of this accomplished through email and verbal communication.
c) DIRECTION RECEIVED
The job is managed based on time constraints. Many times contracts need to be executed within a particular time frame which governs how and when things are accomplished.
d) WORKING CONTACTS
This position has frequent contact with all levels of employees within the various businesses. This position also has frequent contact with Legal and Business Affairs Departments of customers.
Are you the right candidate?
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE
What education, qualifications, training and experience are necessary to perform this job fully and effectively?
- Four year college degree and/or Paralegal certification.
- Contract administration experience, preferably with an entertainment or multimedia company.
- Good drafting skills.
- Must have strong organization, communication and interpersonal skills.
- Must be computer literate in Word, Excel, and Windows applications.
- Attention to detail and follow through skills is critical.
- The ability to maintain focus, prioritize and exercise good judgment is important.
- Must be able to work well under pressure.
About the BBC
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviors in the document attached below.
Diversity matters at the BBC. We have a working environment where we value and respect every individual's unique contribution, enabling all of our employees to thrive and achieve their full potential.
We want to attract the broadest range of talented people to be part of the BBC – whether that’s to contribute to our programming or our wide range of non-production roles. The more diverse our workforce, the better able we are to respond to and reflect our audiences in all their diversity.
We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, socio-economic background, religion and/or belief. We will consider flexible working requests for all roles, unless operational requirements prevent otherwise.
To find out more about Diversity and Inclusion at the BBC, please click here