Presenter (Communities), BBC Essex
BBC Essex is looking for an exceptional talent to present our 7pm-10pm show Monday-Thursday. Launched last October, “Your Essex” is a community programme examining localness and featuring diversity, music, comedy and young people. BBC Essex is highly interactive (our tag line is “Where Essex Comes To Talk) and aims to tell local stories in a compelling way. In a busy commuter patch, there are large numbers of people listening to the radio between 7 and 10pm, often in cars.
One of the biggest successes of “Your Essex” is a weekly hour devoted to the issues which matter to young people in the county. Called “Hashtag Essex,” it has produced excellent content and guests which have been featured on other shows, including Breakfast. “Hashtag Essex” is available on BBC Sounds.
Working with the Editor and Community Partnership Manager:
- You’ll understand Essex communities
- You'll work to develop partnerships across Essex.
- You’ll present the evening show live Monday-Thursday
- You’ll work as a presenter/producer, going out to meet people in the community and recording material ahead of the show.
- You’ll take ownership of “Your Essex” social media platforms, along with your producer
Are you the right candidate?
- You will be a competent, upbeat presenter with a great voice who is able to drive a ViLoR desk.
- You’ll be steeped in Essex and understand what makes people tick here and be full of ideas about how we can take the programme to the next level.
- You’ll have clear ideas about reaching a younger, more diverse, audience and driving up RAJAR.
- You’ll understand the strategic importance of community programming to the BBC as a whole and BBC Essex more specifically.
- The ideal candidate will have specific programme ideas which will attract listeners from parts of Essex which traditionally wouldn’t engage with BBC local radio.
- You’ll understand the importance of BBC values and have a knowledge of editorial guidelines
- You’ll be happy to work irregular hours and evenings, and you’ll be a great team player to ensure your work finds outlets beyond the late show. You’ll have a genuine love of live radio and the skill to spot opportunities for outreach and campaigns. Ideally, you’ll have experience of working with diverse communities.
Important Application Information
In addition to the online application form we would like you to submit a showreel (max 4 mins) demonstrating your presenting ability, how you get in and out of a song, conduct an interview & talk to a caller. Please upload to https://www.dropbox.com/request/wVromUlIWAyrC5kVHmTK before this advert's closing date, applications without demos will not be considered
Contract: Full-time (35 hours), 6 month maternity cover attachment/fixed term contract
About the BBC
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below.
Diversity matters at the BBC. We have a working environment where we value and respect every individual's unique contribution, enabling all of our employees to thrive and achieve their full potential.
We want to attract the broadest range of talented people to be part of the BBC – whether that’s to contribute to our programming or our wide range of non-production roles. The more diverse our workforce, the better able we are to respond to and reflect our audiences in all their diversity.
We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexuality, social background, religion and/or belief. We will consider flexible working requests for all roles, unless operational requirements prevent otherwise.
To find out more about Diversity and Inclusion at the BBC, please click here