The BBC Search and Navigation team helps audiences discover the best and most personally relevant content from across the whole of BBC Online.
The Navigation team is responsible for the collection of web analytics and the development of the underlying data models that enable effective analysis.
The Search team develops systems that power BBC products including iPlayer, Sounds and News on TVs, the web, mobile apps and voice devices. With more than 55 million API hits each week, Search provides one of the key ways to find BBC content.
Search and Navigation require a Principal Data Analyst to lead the delivery of data analysis and actionable insights to support product development.
It’s a really exciting time to join us because we’re making big improvements that will help our audiences find the best and most relevant content we have.
Reporting into the Senior Principal Data Analyst, the role will support the development of analytics collection, metrics and data modelling for all of BBC Online.
- Guide, commission, undertake and deliver analytics, data collection and measurement projects
- An expert in analytics tools and approaches, leveraging the full breadth of functionality to deliver maximum value to the business
- Support the Senior Principal Data Analyst, stepping in when needed within projects
- Maintain high standards of presentation, including the development of new or imaginative ways of using or communicating data and insights
- Help non-data-oriented colleagues understand where analysis can help achieve the strategic goals of the BBC, running training, workshops and knowledge shares
- Able to build and maintain strong working relationships where you might, as a specialist, have to manage expectations of more senior colleagues
- Collaborate with analysts and technical teams across the BBC
- Support the rollout of reporting capabilities consistent with the BBC’s data model
- Present results to senior stakeholders and liaise with key partners and suppliers
- Enable product teams to ‘self serve’ for standard requests
- Support and work closely with product managers, business analysts and software engineers
- Develop your own skills, keeping up to date with the latest developments in analytics
We value strong ownership of the systems and components we build and encourage iterative and experimental approaches. We believe in empowered teams with a strong sense of purpose.
The Ideal Candidate
- Experience in delivering analysis projects in corporate or public sector organisations
- Demonstrable deep experience in relevant analysis, data, testing and measurement methodologies and industry standards
- Significant experience in one or more data scripting language such as Python, R or SQL or tooling relevant to the specifics of the role
- Experience of using AT Internet (ATI), Optimizely, Tableau or similar analytics tools
- Able to effectively delegate and manage your own time and prioritise accordingly whilst working on multiple projects simultaneously
- Able to simplify complex problems into component parts and deal with them systematically
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Experience developing relationships and presenting results to senior stakeholders
Contract type: Permanent
Location: Salford (Flexible working options available)
We’re happy to discuss flexible working. Please indicate your choice under the flexible working question in the application. There is no obligation to raise this at the application stage but if you wish to do so, you are welcome to. Flexible working will be part of the discussion at offer stage.
- Excellent career progression – the BBC offers great opportunities for employees to seek new challenges and work in different areas of the organisation.
- Unrivalled training and development opportunities – our in-house Academy hosts a wide range of internal and external courses and certification.
- Benefits- We offer a competitive salary package, a flexible 35-hour working week for work-life balance and 26 days (1 of which is a corporation day) with the option to buy an extra 5 days, a defined pension scheme and discounted dental, health care, gym and much more.
About the Company
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below.
Diversity matters at the BBC. We have a working environment where we value and respect every individual's unique contribution, enabling all of our employees to thrive and achieve their full potential.
We want to attract the broadest range of talented people to be part of the BBC – whether that’s to contribute to our programming or our wide range of non-production roles. The more diverse our workforce, the better able we are to respond to and reflect our audiences in all their diversity.
We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, socio-economic background, religion and/or belief. We will consider flexible working requests for all roles, unless operational requirements prevent otherwise.
To find out more about Diversity and Inclusion at the BBC, please click here