BBC Sport are seeking a Principal Data Analyst, this is a continuing role based at MediaCity, Salford on a hybrid basis.
Reporting in to the Online editor and Senior Product Leads, this role is embedded in the BBC Sport and Nations and Regions team. Working alongside Audience Analysts and teams of Data Scientists and Researchers, you will be the day-to-day contact for analysis for BBC Sport’s digital and social media content and content performance on BBC iPlayer and BBC Sounds.
We want BBC Sport’s output to reflect and understand the audiences we serve - for example, the different geographical regions of the UK and the experience of people from underrepresented groups (eg people from Black, Asian or minority ethnic backgrounds, people with lived experience of disability, individuals within the LGBTQ+ community and those from lower socio economic groups). We are therefore actively seeking individuals with skills or experience that can help contribute towards ensuring we maximise the diversity of our coverage and content.
- Being the go-to person for questions regarding insights around the performance of all forms of digital sport and social media content
- Working closely with our research teams for both tactical and strategic insights
- Leading the analytics strategy and measurement for BBC Sport, and prioritising work with the team
- Providing technical expertise in the development and implementation of data analysis capability and standards. Supporting the roll-out of reporting capabilities consistent with the BBC’s data model
- Developing relationships within Audiences and within BBC Sport
- Enabling editorial teams to ‘self serve’ for standard requests: evangelising a more data-driven culture, running training, workshops and knowledge shares
- Seeking out proactive opportunities to use our data and experience
- Developing your own skills in analytics-related areas keeping up to date with the latest developments in the field
- Making recommendations for future creation / commissioning / curation of all forms of Sport content for the BBC, including our notifications strategy
Are you the right candidate?
- Intermediate experience using Python or R
- Intermediate SQL knowledge
- Must have some experience of using Tableau or similar
- Ideally you will have buddied, mentored or managed people before
- Clear interest or background in sport
Contract type: 1 x Continuing
Location: Office base Mediacity, home working to be discussed
We’re happy to discuss flexible working. Please indicate your choice under the flexible working question in the application. There is no obligation to raise this at the application stage but if you wish to do so, you are welcome to. Flexible working will be part of the discussion at offer stage.
- Excellent career progression – the BBC offers great opportunities for employees to seek new challenges and work in different areas of the organisation.
- Unrivalled training and development opportunities – our in-house Academy hosts a wide range of internal and external courses and certification.
- Benefits- We offer a competitive salary package, a flexible 35-hour working week for work-life balance and 26 days (1 of which is a corporation day) with the option to buy an extra 5 days, a defined pension scheme and discounted dental, health care, gym and much more.
About the BBC
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below.
Diversity matters at the BBC. We have a working environment where we value and respect every individual's unique contribution, enabling all of our employees to thrive and achieve their full potential.
We want to attract the broadest range of talented people to be part of the BBC – whether that’s to contribute to our programming or our wide range of non-production roles. The more diverse our workforce, the better able we are to respond to and reflect our audiences in all their diversity.
We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, socio-economic background, religion and/or belief. We will consider flexible working requests for all roles, unless operational requirements prevent otherwise.
To find out more about Diversity and Inclusion at the BBC, please click here