Principal Engineer - Top Gear
We are currently seeking a highly talented engineer to provide technical leadership for our in-house team responsible for the TopGear.com website. This role will involve overseeing the technical delivery of both back end and front end solutions as well as hands-on development work. It would suit an experienced developer looking to move into a technical leadership role.
- Design and develop effective software that meets complex product and business needs
- Provide technical leadership and direction to peers and colleagues.
- Write appropriate tests using automated test driven techniques for ensuring code quality and coverage
- Review others’ code and provide feedback
- Write, review and take responsibility for technical documentation
- Lead troubleshooting and resolution of issues throughout the product life cycle, including out of hours support for incident resolution
Are you the right candidate?
- Standards compliant, semantic HTML5
- Responsive design
- REST web services
- Test automation
- Version control systems (we use Git)
- Knowledge or interest in decoupled or headless applications
- Experience building scalable solutions for high traffic sites
- Continuous integration
- Performance testing
Contract type: Permanent
Location: London, W12
We’re happy to discuss flexible working. Please indicate your choice under the flexible working question in the application. There is no obligation to raise this at the application stage but if you wish to do so, you are welcome to. Flexible working will be part of the discussion at offer stage.
- Excellent career progression – the BBC offers great opportunities for employees to seek new challenges and work in different areas of the organisation.
- Unrivalled training and development opportunities – our in-house Academy hosts a wide range of internal and external courses and certification.
- Benefits- We offer a competitive salary package, a flexible 35-hour working week for work-life balance and 26 days holiday with the option to buy an extra 5 days, a defined pension scheme and discounted dental, health care, gym and much more.
About the BBC
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below.
Diversity matters at the BBC. We have a working environment where we value and respect every individual's unique contribution, enabling all of our employees to thrive and achieve their full potential.
We want to attract the broadest range of talented people to be part of the BBC – whether that’s to contribute to our programming or our wide range of non-production roles. The more diverse our workforce, the better able we are to respond to and reflect our audiences in all their diversity.
We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexuality, social background, religion and/or belief. We will consider flexible working requests for all roles, unless operational requirements prevent otherwise.
To find out more about Diversity and Inclusion at the BBC, please click here