Principal Horn, No.5, BBC Philharmonic
The BBC Philharmonic, known for its innovative and versatile music-making, has its home in Salford and enjoys worldwide recognition. With a purpose-built studio in BBC North’s MediaCityUK home in Salford Quays, the orchestra welcomes over 5,000 people every year to its free studio concerts, performs across the north of England, is resident each year at Manchester’s Bridgewater Hall, tours internationally and appears annually at the BBC Proms.
The orchestra performs over 100 concerts a year for broadcast on BBC Radio 3 and has delivered over 250 recordings for Chandos, selling close to one million albums.
Its adventurous approach to programming and passion for bringing classical music to new audiences has seen collaborations with Clean Bandit, The 1975, Jarvis Cocker, Will Young, The Courteeners, Rag'n'Bone Man, Elbow and The xx.
With close relationships and partnerships with Salford City Council, the Royal Northern College of Music (RNCM), University of Salford and Greater Manchester Music Hub, the orchestra’s learning projects offer people of all ages, backgrounds and abilities the opportunity to develop musical interests and skills.
Embracing new technology, the orchestra works closely with BBC North’s pioneering digital teams to explore and develop new ways for audiences to experience orchestral music.
Chief Conductor - Juanjo Mena
Chief Guest Conductor - John Storgårds
Principal Guest Conductor - Ben Gernon
Composer in Association - Mark Simpson
Leader - Yuri Torchinsky
- To sit as 5th Horn (Bumper).
- To have excellent solo and orchestral playing abilities, maintaining the highest musical standards.
- To be an effective and committed team player, demonstrating leadership as required, and to play a full role in the life of the Orchestra.
- This job requires travelling throughout the UK and touring as well as evening and weekend work patterns.
The Ideal Candidate
You will need to demonstrate:
- excellent professional orchestral playing abilities.
- knowledge of the range of repertoire of the BBC Philharmonic.
- ability to contribute to performances that will meet the highest artistic standards.
- ability to work effectively and flexibly within a diverse team environment.
- respect for others by being fully prepared and ready to play at the start of every session.
- awareness of health and safety issues.
For Careers Hub technical issues, please ring the Careers Hub Support team in the first instance on: 0370 024 3477
(NB: If possible, please do not include photographs on your CV.)
Auditions will take place on 8th July 2018
Prepared excerpts for the audition will be available to all applicants from the 18th June by contacting email@example.com
Please upload a CV without photographs or graphics, if possible.
About the BBC
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below. You’ll be asked questions relating to them as part of your application for this role.
The BBC is committed to building a culturally diverse workforce and therefore strongly encourages applications from under-represented groups. We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of their background.