Principal Service Manager (Radio, BBC Content, BBC Studios)
How would you like to work with the world’s leading broadcaster?
BBC Design & Engineering (D&E) provide industry-leading production and broadcast services to BBC network Radio and Television services, as well as BBC Studios. Providing critical services to these world famous industry leaders, we are proud to be an integral part of the most renowned broadcasting and media organisation in the world.
Working within a dedicated Service Management team, the Principal Service Manager is responsible for making sure that the production & broadcast and enterprise IT services meet the high standards required, and that the rapidly evolving needs of the BBC can be accounted for. Whether it is providing services to enable BBC Radio to cover a major summer festival, to ensuring that BBC Television can make its world-leading programmes, or making sure our studios have the technology provision that they need, you would be key to ensuring that these commitments to our audiences are met. This position is supported by a Senior Service Manager, working with the same BBC customer base.
Working in the BBC’s flagship purpose-built Broadcasting House in Regent Street, you would be at the heart of the action, spending time in our world-leading studios, production floors and galleries, with the most creative and technical minds in broadcasting, with the opportunity to progress your career through the wider Design & Engineering Division
As a Principal Service Manager, you will:
- Be accountable for the relationship with stakeholders in BBC Radio, Content (Television) and BBC Studios. These stakeholders are a mix of management and service users at the ‘coal face’.
- Facilitate an effective relationship between the client Divisions and internal service providers. Many of the BBCs Production & Broadcast services are provided by expert capabilities within D&E. Many of our Enterprise IT services are provided by partners.
- Work with a small dedicated service management team, including a Senior Service Manager and a possibly a Service Manager, as well as other Service Management team members in the wider team.
- Collaborates with fellow Service Managers to support the wider BBC customer community
- Be accountable for all Production & Broadcast and enterprise IT services delivered to the BBC client Divisions. Drawing on the support and expertise on the services from within the team and from teams in the wider D&E Division
- Act as a point of contact for the customer to go to with technology service issues, queries and request for help. Service as a conduit into other expertise and resource within the BBC Service Assurance team and wider D&E.
- Develop an in-depth understanding of the client’s business drivers, processes, user communities and organisational structure. Radio, Television and Studios are unique and fascinating organisations and you will have every opportunity to be immersed in their operation.
- Develop an in depth understanding of the catalogue of services consumed by the BBC client Divisions (Production & Broadcast and Enterprise IT)
- Run service forums, health checks and other meetings for stakeholders. These initiatives are a great way to come into contact with the user community and they are popular and appreciated.
- Provides feedback to the wider Service Assurance team and other D&E teams on the status of the business, the services and any service gaps or opportunities
- Jump on issues and resolve them quickly. Resolving issues is a key part of the job.
- Help the BBC client Divisions to articulate new requirements, and ensure that D&E step up to meet those requirements. The BBC is a constantly changing organisation and technology services continue become more and more of a dependency for our audience facing services.
- Make things better! You are accountable for reviewing and improving the services used by BBC Radio, Content (Television) and Studios.
Role is London based with regular travel to client sites across the UK
Professional qualifications required: ITIL V3 Foundation
The Ideal Candidate
We would love to hear from you, if you:
- Have experience leading a team, setting direction, being accountable and broad-shouldered
- Have experience managing technical services in medium or large scale organisations.
- Enjoy forging strong productive relationships with stakeholders, colleagues and users in the pursuit of delivering high quality services whilst maintaining service targets
- Are service-oriented and apply yourself in a professional manner to deliver the best service experience possible
- Have a passion for technology and technology services and you are keen to learn about the production and broadcast technologies that drive the BBC. You enjoy working with techies and engineers, proficient at translating their language into business language.
- Are calm, collected and methodical when faced with a major incident. The breadth of the technology landscape is significant at the BBC and sometimes, things go wrong. You are able to marshal resources, manage concerned stakeholders and make recovery decisions under pressure.
- Enjoy asking questions and getting to the bottom of things. You are not afraid to keep asking questions until you have a full understanding of the situation and orchestrating the right resources to resolve issues and problems.
- Enjoy the buzz of life in the fast lane and are conscious of the importance of deadlines in the broadcasting world, where the show must go out at the scheduled time no matter what!
- Are resilient and positive, able to set boundaries without appearing obstructive. You are able to collaborate with people who may have differing objectives or priorities, aligning people to work together to a common goal.
- Are an excellent communicator. From 1 to 1 conversation with colleagues, clients and stakeholders, to presenting complex ideas, data and hard facts to larger groups, you thrive on this and are not put off by the idea of standing up before an audience.
Permanent Full Time contract
- Excellent career progression the BBC offers great opportunities for ambitious individuals to seek new challenges and work on many different and varied products.
- Unrivalled training and development opportunities our in-house Academy hosts a wide range of internal and external courses and certification.
- A vibrant digital community we have a strong focus on continuous improvement and engineering excellence. We host regular talks from internal and external speakers, and provide generous opportunities to attend industry events and conferences.
- Benefits - We offer a competitive salary package, a flexible 35-hour working week for work-life balance and 26 days holiday with the option to buy an extra 5 days, a defined pension scheme and discounted dental, health care, gym and much more.
About the Company
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below. You’ll be asked questions relating to them as part of your application for this role.
The BBC is committed to building a culturally diverse workforce and therefore strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups. We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of their background.