Principal Service Manager (Service Solution and Remedy Workflow)
BBC Design & Engineering (D&E) provide industry-leading production and broadcast services to BBC News, World Service, Regional TV, Online and Radio News. Providing critical services to these world famous industry leaders, we are proud to be an integral part of the most renowned broadcasting and media organisation in the world.
This role is based within BBC Service Capability and Design part of the wider BBC Design and Engineering organisation.
Remedy On Demand (RoD) is the BBC’s strategic IT and Broadcast service management tool of choice and is part of the wider BMC suite used by the BBC for the management of internal and external service towers, products, services and case management.
The role holder will:
- Be the design authority for all business service solutions (including their delivery)
- Lead business engagement across the BBC Remedy / BMC user community
- Manage and prioritise end to end workflow
- Be responsible for the operation of a Managed Application Service (MAS) covering but not limited to administration, Incident Management and continual service improvement business functions.
As a Principle Service Manager, you will:
- Be the design authority for the assessment and development of all service solutions required by the business to underpin Remedy Services delivered by Broadcast and Online Service Management both today and for the future.
- Work closely with the Remedy product manager to ensure that all service solution designs are architected to “trusted advisor standards” and development work is delivered in congruence with the Remedy product lifecycle and strategic roadmap.
- Management, prioritisation and delivery of end to end workflow activities specifically those activity’s required to ensure on-going compliance with licence management and application, user base administration and on-going alignment and housekeeping of the Development, Q&A and Production environments.
- Management, prioritisation and delivery of all new work requests (Remedy Configuration) supporting the BBC’s technical projects portfolio and maturing business requirements. As skills increase these activities will extend into other BMC suite areas including TrueSight.
- Day to day operation of a managed application service (MAS) setting clear objectives, managing 3rd party performance, resolution of first line incidents, change impact assessments ensuring everything is delivered in accordance with service levels, key performance indictors and 100% adherence to process.
- Leading on the development, standardisation and application of the policy’s, processes and governance required to operate and support the Remedy On Demand products.
- Lead business engagement across the UK building and maintaining strong and productive relationships with key BBC business Stakeholders and Suppliers, ensuring that the service requirements of the business are understood and incorporated in the framework of continual service solution development and improvement.
- Be an ambassador for Broadcast & Online Service Management internally and externally using your network to bring cutting edge thinking and practice into the BBC.
Are you the right candidate?
- You will be comfortable with working autonomously, undertaking frequent travel within the UK, working flexibly and have a proven track record of taking decisions that support the strategic direction of the business / BBC.
- You have a proven track record of business and stakeholder engagement and be confident to represent Broadcast and Online Service Management / the BBC in any internal or external forums using your passion and vision to articulate strategic direction, challenge and opportunity.
- Posses demonstrable and practical experience of the Remedy On Demand (RoD) product with extensive experience of it’s application, management, operation and development of service solution designs in an ITIL organisation.
- Have a good demonstrable understanding of wider BMC products hosted on our Digital Private Cloud (DPC) including Truesight.
- Qualified to at least ITIL v3 foundation as a minimum or better with a proven track record of it’s application
- You will be an experienced leader / manager with a proven track record of establishing and leading high performing “great” teams comfortable working in new areas managing ambiguity and working under pressure.
- Experience of managing workflow and pipeline activities with a proven ability to prioritise and deliver in high pressure environments and the application of governance ensuring complete adherence to policy and process.
- You will be commercially astute in the management of third party’s and performance and development of managed service contracts.
- Ability to prepare and present at all levels oral and written reports, business cases, presentations, recommendations and perform necessary research and investigations.
- Poses strong analytical skills and able to make sense of complex and logical problems, quickly.
- Influential relationship management skills with stakeholders, colleagues and users in pursuit of delivering high quality services whilst maintaining service targets.
- Significant and demonstrable experience in the authoring and production of ITIL documentation. e.g. SLAs, OLAs, Service Catalogue, process alignment, procedure design and service mapping.
- Awareness of large scale technology programmes and IT infrastructure environments.
- Excellent verbal and written communication capabilities and the ability to interact and influence at all levels of the organisation.
- Experience of the design and implementation of moderately complex operating models, including design of: process, organisational, governance & operational interfaces to the BBC and other suppliers.
- A solid understanding of change management. Using influence, oversight and direction in the provision of changes.
- Attention to detail; self-starting and strong focus on completing / finishing.
- IT literate - excellent knowledge of Microsoft Office suite. Able to demonstrate the ability to develop and present PowerPoint presentations to clients and management.
- Proven expert in managing multiple stakeholders at all levels of the organisation, but specifically at senior management level.
- Demonstrate a high level of political and business awareness; acutely aware of organisational sensitivities.
Grade: 9D (Proposed Band D)
Location: Broadcast Centre, London
- Excellent career progression – the BBC offers great opportunities for ambitious individuals to seek new challenges and work on many different and varied products.
- Unrivalled training and development opportunities – our in-house Academy hosts a wide range of internal and external courses and certification.
- A vibrant digital community – we have a strong focus on continuous improvement and engineering excellence. We host regular talks from internal and external speakers, and provide generous opportunities to attend industry events and conferences.
- A variety of technical challenges – we work across a wide range of platforms, languages and technologies; from the latest frameworks and open standards, to the newest devices and modern cloud platforms.
- Benefits - We offer a competitive salary package, a flexible 35-hour working week for work-life balance and 25 days holiday with the option to buy an extra 5 days, a defined pension scheme and discounted dental, health care, gym and much more.
About the BBC
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below. You’ll be asked questions relating to them as part of your application for this role.
The BBC is committed to building a culturally diverse workforce and therefore strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups. We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of their background.
The BBC is currently implementing a Career Path Framework which will result in employees being aligned to generic job titles and job descriptions. Consequently, successful applicants may be realigned to a slightly different job title shortly after joining the BBC