Principal Software Engineer - Web, BBC News
The BBC News Web teams deliver impartial news to hundreds of millions of readers all over the world. Our main English language news website is as visited as Twitter and we have 40 other World Service language news sites on top of this. We support a wide range of devices and care deeply about scale, performance and accessibility. We work in agile, flexible teams and have an exciting roadmap for future development.
We have one vacancy for a Principal Software Engineer, with a second planned to be opened later this year.
We are a team who care deeply about diversity, opportunity (especially to learn) and we are always helpful. We’re looking for a Principal Software Engineer to work in our web focused teams. If you want to bring unbiased high quality news to hundreds of millions more people, all around the world, and want to get involved in the colossal scaling, accessibility and availability efforts we’re putting into this, then join our mission to do so by applying.
We’re looking for an experienced principal developer and investor in people. You will be working across multiple frontend focussed web teams (currently 4) writing primarily in JS.
You won’t be managing anyone but will be the champion of best practices in security, performance, devops, and maintainability/shareability.
Clearly this is a big remit and this is why we plan to have two Principals in time who will work on this together.
The role will vary greatly from day-to-day and will likely involve fielding new work requests and working with the team leads and engineering manager to ensure planned work is feasible and that delivered work is of high quality.
The Ideal Candidate
- Working as a senior software engineer with experience in the following technologies:
- Some other - preferably server side technology (this role needs fullstack skills)
- Experience with Cloud architecture and the core AWS (or other cloud provider) technologies
- Writing good quality, maintainable code
- Good interpersonal skills and a cooperative approach to problem solving
- Collaborative working in or across multidisciplinary teams, with a focus on agile delivery
- Experience of proactively enhancing standards across web teams
- Acting as a developer advocate/engaged in the wider Web engineering community
- HTTP, Caching, CDNs, TLS, core Internet protocols and technologies
- Performance engineering and management techniques
- A passion for News products
We are committed to healthy work-life balance, so remote working is standard. Additionally, you get access to the BBC Pension scheme, BBC Club and other perks.
Grade 9 (proposed Band D)
Continuing / Permanent
About the Company
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below. You’ll be asked questions relating to them as part of your application for this role.
The BBC is committed to building a culturally diverse workforce and therefore strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups. We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of their background.