Principal Software Engineer
This is a chance for you to shape some of the most important projects in News as part of one of the most innovative teams in the BBC.
News Labs is a small team experimenting with new approaches to news and prototyping new tools – from exploring the potential of Virtual Realty and Voice platforms to social media bots or tools helping journalists make cutting edge videos in multiple languages.
We are looking for an imaginative, flexible and talented Principal Software Engineer to help lead News Labs’ work discovering the ways in which we can power new and interesting workflows for editors and journalists.
Please visit our blog to see some of the projects we have been working on:
- Work closely with editorial stakeholders and other developers from across the BBC to lead pilots and prototypes that create great impact on BBC journalism our audience and the wider News industry.
- Dream up, initiate, specify, design & build beautiful tools for our journalists and new audience experiences.
- Help to run and take part in industry hackathons, and collaborate both across the BBC and also with universities and other media organisations.
- Help shape our ways of working across a wide portfolio of different projects.
Are you the right candidate?
- An enthusiasm for News with a willingness to experiment and try new solutions to problems faced by editorial and technical teams.
- Experience of leading software engineering teams and projects
- Flexibility to deal with changing projects and priorities in a short space of time.
- Excellent and proven knowledge of software architecture principles.
- Excellent and proven development skills and experience building applications Java & Node.js
- Strong experience of test driven development: unit and integration
- Experience of Agile Programming, pairing and working within a collaborative team
- Understanding of Service Oriented Architectures and consuming RESTful web services via HTTP.
- Experience of deploying and supporting applications deployed to AWS
- Experience of database and document store technologies
A PLUS WOULD BE:
- Experience with front end development.
- Experience of social platform apis and integration
- Experience of Unix OS
- Healthy interest in emerging platform technologies
12 Months FTC / Attachment
About the BBC
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below. You’ll be asked questions relating to them as part of your application for this role.
The BBC is committed to building a culturally diverse workforce and therefore strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups. We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of their background.
BBC is committed to redeploying employees seeking suitable alternative employment within the BBC for different reasons and they will be given priority consideration ahead of other applicants. Priority consideration means for those employees seeking redeployment their application will be considered alongside anyone else at risk of redundancy, prior to any individuals being considered who are not at risk.