BBC Digital Distribution (DD) is an exciting and pivotal area that powers all BBC Online services providing state of the art technology, multi-vendor cloud and distribution services as well as in-house products and tools that deliver the BBC App / website you interact with to get the latest news or see the latest Football score or whether it is going to rain or be sunny in the morning or see a programme on iPlayer to relax after a hard day’s work.
The Monitoring Team ensures your and the rest of UK population’s experience of BBC web products is never compromised and you have a wow experience of BBC online every time. The Monitoring Team is responsible for the development of in-house tools, dashboards, products and 3rd party monitoring solutions enabling end to end monitoring of the entire chain of BBC Online services that is from networks, systems, applications all the way to audio and video streams as well as user experience of these streams whether on cloud or on-premise using state of the art technology, big data (analytics and challenges including capturing data, data storage, data analysis, visualization) as well as potential for Predictive Analytics.
These tools as well as being used by product teams that develop iPlayer, bbc.co.uk, News, Sport, Weather and Broadcast Engineering are used by our 24 * 7 NOC team who monitor BBC’s online products.
As a Principal Engineer, you will be responsible for building sound architecture, leading the design and development of high quality, secure, scalable, full stack technical products delivered by both internal and 3rd party teams. You'll be contributing hands on across while leading Technical delivery of Software/ technical Projects Using Agile methodology with the team including hands on Planning, prioritising, running stand-ups, sprints, Scrum/Kanban or other flavours, management of backlogs etc
· Further responsibilities include -
· Contributing to the vision and long-term strategy in your domain of expertise as well as Contribute hands on as and where necessary including write code, run stand-ups, support end users, diagnose issues in production, perform code reviews, plan releases, build deployment pipelines etc.
· Accountability for process optimisation, policy, tooling and setting appropriate Framework to keep BBC products and services reliable, highly available, efficient and operating at scale – this includes process/ framework associated with Development, DevOps, Release mechanisms, Operations, Pipelines, Automation, use of open-source products etc
· Defining, teaching and fostering best practices such as Ci/CD, TDD, pair/mob programming etc within the team and mentoring other engineers to grow, share knowledge and adopt best practices.
Are you the right candidate?
We’re really open to who you are and what you’ve done.
We are keen to speak with people who have experience engineering, developing and supporting systems with modern tools both on-prem and in the cloud, can think out of the box?
Looking for -
- Several years hands on knowledge, competence and understanding of following technologies with ability to seek out new technologies, tools and methodologies to keep BBC in forefront of technology as well as efficient processes: AWS/Cloud, Python/ Go, Linux or its flavours, Open-source software in particular TICK stack/Grafana/ Alerta/AWX/ Kapacitor or similar
- · Extensive broad, hands-on technical experience encompassing three out of following six disciplines to enable intuitive technology and technical decision making and choice of technical direction and best solution backed by your vast experience - Software engineering, operations, testing, DevOps, Architecture, Systems Engineering, performance and large-scale engineering.
Contract type: Continuing
We’re happy to discuss flexible working. Please indicate your choice under the flexible working question in the application. There is no obligation to raise this at the application stage but if you wish to do so, you are welcome to. Flexible working will be part of the discussion at offer stage.
- Excellent career progression – the BBC offers great opportunities for employees to seek new challenges and work in different areas of the organisation.
- Unrivalled training and development opportunities – our in-house Academy hosts a wide range of internal and external courses and certification.
- Benefits- We offer a competitive salary package, a flexible 35-hour working week for work-life balance and 26 days (1 of which is a corporation day) with the option to buy an extra 5 days, a defined pension scheme and discounted dental, health care, gym and much more.
The situation regarding the coronavirus outbreak is developing quickly and the BBC is keen to continue to ensure the safety and wellbeing of people across the BBC, while continuing to protect our services. To reduce the risk access to BBC buildings is limited to those essential to our broadcast output. From Wednesday 18th March until further notice all assessments and interviews will be conducted remotely. For more information go to https://www.bbc.co.uk/careers/
Mae’r sefyllfa gyda’r coronafeirws yn datblygu’n gyflym, ac mae’r BBC yn awyddus i barhau i sicrhau diogelwch a lles pobl ar draws y BBC, gan barhau i warchod ein gwasanaethau hefyd. I leihau’r risg, dim ond y bobl sy’n hanfodol i’n hallbwn darlledu fydd yn cael mynediad i adeiladau’r BBC. O ddydd Mercher 18fed Mawrth ymlaen, bydd pob asesiad a chyfweliad yn cael ei gynnal o bell, nes rhoddir gwybod yn wahanol. I gael mwy o wybodaeth, ewch i https://www.bbc.co.uk/careers/
About the BBC
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below.
Diversity matters at the BBC. We have a working environment where we value and respect every individual's unique contribution, enabling all of our employees to thrive and achieve their full potential.
We want to attract the broadest range of talented people to be part of the BBC – whether that’s to contribute to our programming or our wide range of non-production roles. The more diverse our workforce, the better able we are to respond to and reflect our audiences in all their diversity.
We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, socio-economic background, religion and/or belief. We will consider flexible working requests for all roles, unless operational requirements prevent otherwise.
To find out more about Diversity and Inclusion at the BBC, please click here