BBC Design & Engineering provides the foundations for broadcasting - we keep the BBC’s services on-air 24 hours a day, seven days a week. That means everything from transmission for TV and radio - enabling us to reach 97% of adults in the UK every week including the cameras, mixing desks, email and business systems for our world-class programme makers and staff.
It is this technology that connects our colleagues and our viewers to our content. To support the BBC, now and in the future, our priorities are to make sure we’re flexible, efficient and can take advantage of all the digital developments happening in broadcasting.
Our objectives are to:
- Deliver agreed portfolio priorities to plan
- Delivery on our major projects
- Be a strategic partner with the rest of the BBC
- Make real the Engineering Operating model
- Build the capability we need to deliver the Engineering Vision
This role sits within Business Systems in BBC Design & Engineering which sets the technology strategy and delivers and supports solutions to optimise running of all the BBC’s business critical functions including HR, Finance, Procurement, Legal and Workplace.
The BPC System Specialist will report operationally to the Manager, System Engineer and will be responsible for maintenance, development and administration of Business Planning and Consolidation in line with the approved development plans, change requests and the operational service levels.
- Provide insight on the impacts of data requests (new/change/deletion etc.) from an end-to-end process prospective and also a systems and data integrity perspective.
- Support development of the following applications: BPC Netweaver 10.1 Embedded version in line with the approved development plans, change requests and the operational service levels, keep system and support documentation up to date.
- Take part in the BPC projects and upgrade of the existing application
- Provide advice to users on BPC applications relating to Budgeting, Forecasting and Consolidation.
- Develop solutions test cases and data review for data migrations and system upgrades and patches in BPC.
- Adhere to and provide advice to users on the processes, procedures and documentation associated with requesting changes to system data and data structures.
- Ensure compliance at all times with BBC data quality standards as defined within the Data Management Strategy and Data Management Policies.
- Assist in the development and establishment of BBC-wide data policies and work in collaboration with the outsourced service provider in reviewing and improving existing policies and procedures.
- Provide services in accordance with the ITIL Framework.
- Work alongside Team Management and Application Leads to develop and operate effective working relationships with key stakeholders in Finance, Procurement, HR and Engineering teams, third party suppliers, users and super-user groups.
The Ideal Candidate
Knowledge, Skills & Competencies:
- Strong Data Analyst skills with experience gained from developing, implementing and operating large and business critical database environments.
- Strong Business Process Analysis skills within Planning & Consolidation
- Sound understanding of system data controls, SAP-related segregation of duties and fraud and risk management requirements in a complex organisation.
- Extensive Knowledge of BPC Netweaver 10.1 Embedded, BW 7.5 and Analysis for Office tools
- Programming skills (Script Logic, VBA, SQL, ABAP, FOX etc)
- Extensive knowledge of end to end budgeting, forecasting and consolidation cycles
- Knowledge of SAP BO reporting tools or SAC would be an advantage
- Very strong analytical skills with a particular emphasis on understanding and transforming large volumes of complex data into valuable business information.
- Strong capability in working with end users and translating their business aspirations into very tangible data analysis and reporting solutions.
- Experience of working in an agile environment.
- Previous experience in the finance is advantageous.
- A strong understanding of Data Protection legislation and how it impacts access controls.
- Experience of delivering services within an ITIL environment.
- Excellent customer skills especially with respect to verbal communications which are clear and understandable to users with relatively less technical and data analyst experience
- Information Technology degree, or equivalent professional qualification / experience
- Certifications in BPC/Business Intelligence products, including SAP certification is desirable
- ITIL qualified - ITIL Foundation minimum is desirable
- IT Professional certifications aligned to the role as identified within the Job Description
Contract type: Permanent - Full-time
Location: London or Cardiff
We’re happy to discuss flexible working. Please indicate your choice under the flexible working question in the application. There is no obligation to raise this at the application stage but if you wish to do so, you are welcome to. Flexible working will be part of the discussion at offer stage.
- Excellent career progression – the BBC offers great opportunities for employees to seek new challenges and work in different areas of the organisation.
- Unrivalled training and development opportunities – our in-house Academy hosts a wide range of internal and external courses and certification.
- Benefits- We offer a competitive salary package, a flexible 35-hour working week for work-life balance and 26 days (1 of which is a corporation day) with the option to buy an extra 5 days, a defined pension scheme and discounted dental, health care, gym and much more.
The situation regarding the coronavirus outbreak is developing quickly and the BBC is keen to continue to ensure the safety and wellbeing of people across the BBC, while continuing to protect our services. To reduce the risk access to BBC buildings is limited to those essential to our broadcast output. From Wednesday 18th March until further notice all assessments and interviews will be conducted remotely. For more information go to https://www.bbc.co.uk/careers/
Mae’r sefyllfa gyda’r coronafeirws yn datblygu’n gyflym, ac mae’r BBC yn awyddus i barhau i sicrhau diogelwch a lles pobl ar draws y BBC, gan barhau i warchod ein gwasanaethau hefyd. I leihau’r risg, dim ond y bobl sy’n hanfodol i’n hallbwn darlledu fydd yn cael mynediad i adeiladau’r BBC. O ddydd Mercher 18fed Mawrth ymlaen, bydd pob asesiad a chyfweliad yn cael ei gynnal o bell, nes rhoddir gwybod yn wahanol. I gael mwy o wybodaeth, ewch i https://www.bbc.co.uk/careers/
About the Company
We don’t focus simply on what we do – we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below.
Diversity matters at the BBC. We have a working environment where we value and respect every individual's unique contribution, enabling all of our employees to thrive and achieve their full potential.
We want to attract the broadest range of talented people to be part of the BBC – whether that’s to contribute to our programming or our wide range of non-production roles. The more diverse our workforce, the better able we are to respond to and reflect our audiences in all their diversity.
We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, socio-economic background, religion and/or belief. We will consider flexible working requests for all roles, unless operational requirements prevent otherwise.
To find out more about Diversity and Inclusion at the BBC, please click here