Privacy & Data Protection Manager
We take our channels, programmes, formats and the reputation of the BBC to the world and thats a potential legal minefield. We have to protect our image rights and trademark our creativity. Contracts for acquisitions have to be gone through in minute detail. There are clearance and royalty issues to deal with. And much more all on top of the normal legal requirements of a global business and employer. Its what makes a career in one of our Legal or Rights Management teams so fascinating and so unique.
We have an exciting opportunity for an experienced Privacy & Data Protection Manager to join the team at BBC Worldwide. The Privacy & Data Protection Manager is responsible for maintaining and developing processes and policies to ensure high standards in data privacy consistent with BBC values and the expectations of data subjects. This includes the management of privacy compliance globally and provision of advice and guidance to effectively mitigate data privacy risks.
This role will involve close interaction and regular contact with all parts of the organisation globally which undertake or influence the processing of personal data including HR, Information Security, BLA, Talent Accounting, Technology, Procurement and all consumer-facing activities.
- Provide expert advice and guidance to employees across the business/regions in relation to data protection and privacy and associated matters.
- Develop and maintain standard data protection and privacy contractual clauses and provide advice and assist with negotiations with suppliers relating to data protection and information security provisions.
- Develop and maintain comprehensive privacy policies and procedures consistent with local legislative requirements and wider BBC group policies and procedures, including management of privacy champions and data compliance groups.
- Undertake Privacy Impact Assessments for all new projects where appropriate and work with Information Security to ensure appropriate due diligence of suppliers.
- Work with project teams, developers and operations to achieve privacy by design.
- Manage the Data Processing and Risk Registers, ensuring a record is maintained of significant data processing across the business and identifying and managing associated risks.
- Undertake regular internal data handling reviews and supplier audits to: (i) assess compliance with relevant laws and policies; (ii) identify compliance/reputational risks; and (iii) agree an action plan to address those risks.
- Act as primary contact with BBC Public Service and work with colleagues to develop pan-BBC policies and principles.
- Manage the internal portal to ensure all data protection and information security and content security policies, guidance notes, templates and forms are readily accessible by all staff. In addition, communicating any policy updates and relevant developments initiatives to staff to maintain awareness across the business.
- Develop and deliver online and bespoke face to face training as required to maintain good awareness of privacy and BBCWs policies.
- Maintaining a detailed knowledge and understanding of relevant legislation, guidance and developments across the UK and internationally.
- In relation to new legislation, regulatory guidance and/or compliance frameworks, undertake a gap analysis and oversee the implementation of applicable requirements across the business.
- Managing data protection audits and compliance assurance.
- Handle all Subject Access and Freedom of Information Requests for BBCW.
The Ideal Candidate
- Comprehensive knowledge of and experience in applying the Data Protection Act 1998 and Freedom of Information Act
- Working knowledge of international data protection legislation (applicable in BBCW operating territories)
- Experience of drafting, reviewing and negotiating data protection and information security provisions in contracts.
- Experienced in senior stakeholder management and an efficient communicator with all levels
- Impeccable planning and organisation skills and able to facilitate and delegate appropriately
- Team player who can direct and manage complex situations
- Ability to work in cross-functional, cross-cultural environment
About the Company
The BBC is committed to building a culturally diverse workforce and therefore strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups. We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of their background.
BBC Worldwide Limited is the main commercial arm and a wholly owned subsidiary of the BBC. BBC Worldwide exists to support the BBC public service mission and to maximise profits on its behalf. It does this through investing in; commercialising and showcasing content from the BBC in the UK and around the world. In 2016/17, BBC Worldwide generated headline profits of 157.3M (2015/16: 133.8M), and headline sales of 1,059.9M (2015/16: 1,029.4M) and returned 210.5M to the BBC.
The UK region delivers nearly a third of BBCWs revenues, across a broad range of sectors, including Channels, TV Distribution, Consumer Products, Live Events, Publishing and e-Commerce.
Comprised predominantly of the non-English speaking world, our Global Markets business encompasses Western Europe, Northern Europe, Central and Eastern Europe, Middle East and Africa (CEMA), Asia and Latin America. Business activities range from TV sales and channel operation to production and intellectual property exploitation.