WHO’s it with:
This is a rare opportunity to work in a key Product role for one of the UK’s most iconic brands, BBC iPlayer. This dynamic team’s mission is to be the future of BBC television setting ambitious goals over the next three years to double reach and quadruple viewing.
WHY you’ll want it:
We are BBC iPlayer. You will you be working on amazing projects and cutting-edge technologies surrounded by a team of like-minded professionals from whom you can learn and grow.
The BBC has standard job descriptions for roles to ensure clarity and fairness across the organisation. See below for the Senior Product Manager job description:
WHAT you’ll be doing:
In this exciting role, in collaboration with a Senior Product Manager, you will help develop and advance BBC iPlayer’s native mobile and tablet apps. On a daily basis, you will inspire and direct a highly competent team of engineers, testers, user experience designers, business analysts and project managers. Communicating a consistent cross-platform vision, while taking ownership of quarterly objectives at a delivery level and defining and prioritising new features and iterations through daily Agile ceremonies. You will use your fantastic stakeholder management skills to build internal relationships with our media delivery, metadata, editorial, live operations, business development and marketing teams, as well as forge long lasting relationships with partners such as Apple, Google and Amazon. Your overarching goal, to maintain BBC iPlayer’s high quality standard and ensure all parties are on a journey to take BBC iPlayer mobile apps to the next level.
The Ideal Candidate
WHAT you’ll need:
We’re looking for someone exceptional to join a team of already exceptional and passionate people. Someone that’s perhaps relatively new to Product Management with a passion to learn and develop, who can:
- Think big, helping craft future features for the product
- Represent the viewers, by empathising with varying need states
- Prioritise & simplify, providing the delivery team with clarity, focus and achievable goals
- Communicate clearly, ensuring a common understanding of the vision both within the delivery team and across stakeholder groups
- Action analytically, making good decisions by using data, user research and multivariate tests
- Deliver in an Agile software development environment, in part by providing purpose and solving problems
- Know good user experience, good design and how to delight users
- Understand technical trade-offs, balancing the tactical versus the strategic
- Understand product life-cycle, from conception through to end-of-life
- Represent the BBC and present themselves professionally to partner organisations
Of course, it also helps if you have knowledge of mobile platforms and a passion for British television!
Grade 8 (proposed band D)
- Excellent career progression – the BBC offers great opportunities for ambitious individuals to seek new challenges and work on many different and varied products.
- Unrivalled training and development opportunities – our in-house Academy hosts a wide range of internal and external courses and certification.
- A vibrant digital community – we have a strong focus on continuous improvement and engineering excellence. We host regular talks from internal and external speakers, and provide generous opportunities to attend industry events and conferences.
- A variety of technical challenges – we work across a wide range of platforms, languages and technologies; from the latest frameworks and open standards, to the newest devices and modern cloud platforms.
- Benefits - We offer a competitive salary package, a flexible 35 hour working week for work-life balance and 26 days holiday with the option to buy an extra 5 days, a defined pension scheme and discounted dental, health care, gym and much more.
About the Company
We don’t focus simply on what we do, we also care how we do it. Our values and the way we behave are important to us. Please make sure you’ve read about our values and behaviours in the document attached below. You’ll be asked questions relating to them as part of your application for this role.
The BBC is committed to building a culturally diverse workforce and therefore strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups. We are committed to equality of opportunity and welcome applications from individuals, regardless of their background.
BBC Design + Engineering
D+E offers a wide range of stretching, creative and impactful careers for talented people. We are the team that’s building the future of the BBC, whilst delivering TV, radio and online services to millions of people worldwide every day.
As well as being the people behind iPlayer and the News, Sports and Children’s services, we develop, support and maintain the systems and infrastructure that keeps the BBC on air and are responsible for the biggest British-run digital service in the world. In D+E, you’ll be working on unique challenges, hand in hand with the best creative minds in the UK and alongside one of the world's leading production and distribution companies (BBC Studios).
We offer challenging work but with the time to think and do things right. We uphold a 100 year history of invention and innovation in the BBC by welcoming and developing people of all backgrounds.