Product Manager - News (WS2020)
The BBC News Web team delivers impartial news to readers all over the world, currently in 32 languages. We support a wide range of devices and care deeply about scale, performance, and accessibility. We work in agile, flexible teams, and have an exciting roadmap for future development.
Now is a great time to join us. We’re working towards 500m users globally by the time of the BBC’s centenary in 2022, and we’re looking for a talented and keen Product Manager to join us and drive global reach on external, third party platforms. As we engage more with Facebook, Twitter and other social networks, messenger platforms and more, we want to ensure that we build global reach while at the same time ensuring audiences genuinely connect with the BBC.
In this role you will help design, define and drive the delivery of social and syndication products, working with teams across the BBC.
- This role is based in BBC News. Applicants should have experience working with audience facing products and understand the complexity that comes with serving a global audience.
- Applicants should be able to identify, prioritise and validate market opportunities, working with the business to define requirements and plan delivery.
- This role is technical in nature and applicants will need to be comfortable working with a range of technical staff across the BBC.
- Applicants should be curious and investigative thinkers who can spot opportunities and understand how complex, global third party platforms like Facebook work.
- The ideal applicant is goal orientated and a clear communicator. They can articulate why we are pursuing a given opportunity, assess its impact with data and keep the business informed and engaged. The will understand how to take a broad, top level goal and break it down into a small, achievable projects.
- Be a good representative for the BBC and work with partners in companies such as Facebook, clearly representing the needs of our audiences and ensuring the BBC makes the best of the opportunities on offer.
The Product Manager is responsible for implementing the product strategy for one or part of one of the BBC’s products or services.
The post holder has three key responsibilities: assessing product opportunities, defining the product to be built, and communicating to stakeholders.
He/she works with key editorial, commercial and technical stakeholders to design and deliver the required product, measure its success, leading the prioritisation process and the creation and maintenance of the roadmap.
He/she works with the technical team to create a product that is useful, usable and feasible.
The Ideal Candidate
The ideal candidate will have experience in -
- Requires ability to apply industry knowledge, market awareness, audience research and analytics insights to product strategy and planning
- Previous experience of making product decisions and creating a compelling vision based on research, usage data, or predictions of either
- Ability to understand and prioritise the needs of the product’s users either audience members or production teams
- Previous experience of product development and product life-cycle management including an understanding of agile methodology
- Ability to plan and forecast a small product budget and deliver within that budget
- An understanding of the relevant technologies and practices (e.g. client and server-side technologies, new media technologies and platforms, project management - especially Agile) and software engineering processes and practices
- Experience managing commercial and contractual relationships with third party suppliers and partners
Location - London
Grade - 8
Contract - Continuing